UPDATE DTIVER SCAM

DWDRAP 16:24 16 Mar 2003

Back in January I purchased a more powerful PC, replacing my older machine, whilst January last year I replaced my printer with a Hewlit Packard a V45 all-in-one.
My new PC has Windows XP as the OS,. I expected to update the printer driver and on the Hewlit Packard website driver update pages I found that due to the size of the driver package only a limited version can be downloaded, and it is recommended the CD-rom, great, But this can only be down on line in North America so one has to telephone a number in the UK, where I live. Eventually after getting through, and being passed round it was made clear I could only get the CD-Rom if I took out a three year support contact! WHAT A SCAM.

GANDALF <|:-)> 16:54 16 Mar 2003

click here has the full 55mb download. They cannot help the size of the programme and on a 56k line it should take about 2.5 - 3.5 hours. If you have a download manager such as Fresh Downloads it will monitor the d/l and connect you back to where you got to if you are disconnected.

You could always ask someone who has broadband to download the file for you or if you have a BB connection at work schmooze with the IT lot and ask them to download it for you. I forsee no problems. It is not HPs' fault that Microsoft released a system that needs new drivers.

G

Wilham 17:22 16 Mar 2003

I have DWDRAP's HP driver problem with my HP CD Writer Plus after my change to WinXP. HP's driver s/w was provided by a third party, not in-house HP, so I guess product update doesn't come free (goodwill) like many other makes.

DWDRAP 15:41 22 Mar 2003

Yes I have downloaded the HP driver from their website, but, it is not the gull version due to the size, If you live in North America you can order the CD-Rom full version on line but not in the UK. I would noy mind paying for the CD version.
I have pointed out to H-P that when you order a Netscape update product on;ine and pay by Credit Card the product is posted fron within the UK, and in three day.

Hunte® 17:26 22 Mar 2003

THe HP website certainly suggests that the 55mb download is the full version of the driver package. They simply recommend non-broadband users order the cd.

Tenner 17:01 23 Mar 2003

Fresh Downloads ? Is this a shareware utility or something not available in W98 ? Excuse the ignorance.

Regards

leo49 17:17 23 Mar 2003

click here

Freeware - don't care for it myself[I use Download Express}but it pleases some Forum members.

Regards

Forum Editor 17:24 23 Mar 2003

is (in my opinion anyway) one of the best download utlities available, and I can thoroughly recommend it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?