University laptop?

LeeM 18:30 19 Aug 2009

Here there I'm looking to buy a laptop to take to university with me (provided I get in xD). Anyway, I don't know too much about laptops seeing as I have only had desktops before, but here is the basic spec I'm looking for:

-able to multi-task, e.g. run a load of intensive programs at once

-have a long battery life so I can get through a day of lectures without it dying

-be as future proof as possible so it'll get me through the whole course (I'm thinking 4GB ram and a decent dual core processor should be sufficient)

-have an integrated optical drive (I'm doing software engineering so no doubt I'll have to burn disks with my applications on etc.)

-have the option to get a free Windows 7 upgrade

I have no need for a dedicated graphics card as I will not be gaming. I'm hoping to find a powerful enough laptop that will hopefully get 5-6 hours battery life and have a screen under 15". I will not buy a Dell.

The choice I have been looking at at the moment is below:

System components
#
Intel Core 2 Duo processor T6670(2.2GHz)
#
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium
#
Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium US English
#
14.1 WXGA TFT, w/ CCFL Backlight
#
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD w/ 1394
#
4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 SDRAM 1067MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
#
Keyboard UK English
#
UltraNav (TrackPoint and TouchPad)
#
250 GB Hard Disk Drive, 5400rpm
#
DVD Recordable 8x Max Ultrabay Enhanced (Serial ATA)
#
Express Card Slot & 7-1 Media Card Reader
#
Integrated Bluetooth PAN
#
Intel WiFi Link 5300 (AGN) with My WiFi Technology
#
Ericsson F3507g Other - Wireless WAN card
#
9 cell Li-Ion Battery
#
Country Pack United Kingdom with Line cord & 65W AC adapter
#
Language Pack UK English

ThinkPad R400 with integrated graphics
Estimated Selling Price incl. VAT : £1,052.25
Web Price incl. VAT : £789.17
Estimated Savings incl. VAT : £263.08
After rebate:
Availability:
Ships within 1-2 weeks

My budget is really about £750 but I guess I can stretch it if I really need as you can see that's a bit over. I'd probably definitely go for that spec but I'm worried about the fact the 9 cell battery is so big it extends over the back which is why I have come here for any other suggestions.

Thanks.

tullie 20:08 19 Aug 2009

Cant help you a lot but i have never had a laptop battery that lasts more than three hours.The netbook i have now vlasts about seven,but wouldent be suitable for your needs.

WolframBlitzen 02:36 20 Aug 2009

LeeM: I've been a student myself so I know what you mean about needing the battery to last! Have you considered the Acer Timeline? It has an "8 hour" battery life. All of the customers I have deal with about it say that it gets pretty close to that too.

It falls a little bit short of the specs you posted, however, it is within budget (by all of 1p! lol) if you want the full specs on it, go to pc world.co.uk and type into the search "802914" (no quotation marks) that will take you straight to it

Good luck with university!

Simsy 07:01 20 Aug 2009

and charging both overnight? Though the cost of battery will affect the available buget for the PC itself, it would open up the "market" for possible machines?

Good luck,

Regards,

Simsy

LeeM 12:17 20 Aug 2009

Thanks your responses.

@WolframBlitzen - I have actually looked at a couple of Acers, the thing that put me off is the low MHZ of the processor. Is it really going to be up to be running lots of programs without lagging?

@Simsy - I've considered but it's like £100 for a battery so that would reduced my budget considerably so I'm not sure it's worth it.

click here

This is another laptop that has caught my eye, only 3 GB ram and it's not DDR2 though.

LeeM 12:58 20 Aug 2009

I meant the ram in that toshiba isn't DDR3

WolframBlitzen 19:09 20 Aug 2009

LeeM

Well, yeah, I see your point. But don't forget they are multi-core processors.

LeeM 19:11 20 Aug 2009

I've done a bit more research and the battery extension doesn't seem too bad on Lenovo so I'm leaning towards that now. With a 6 cell battery you get 6.5 hours life and I'd opt to get the 9 cell - plus I wouldn't have to settle for a low voltage processor so it would stay up to date longer.

naineysman 22:45 20 Aug 2009

Macbook Pro 8hrs battery and load Open Office, promise you wont regret it. (10 years windows 2 years mac and wishing I'd changed sooner)

It will blow the budget but buy it online throught the education site and you will get a discount. It will be worth it in the long run. Plus a free Ipod touch to boot?

LeeM 12:17 21 Aug 2009

I don't like Apple and I'm too used to using Microsoft programs. I think I'm going to go with the Lenovo.

HondaMan 11:25 24 Aug 2009

Surely the information you have had / will have will give the specifications of the computer you should have. The is certainly the situation with computer courses which I have undertaken.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?