Unhelpful / The Tech guys

vonjessen 20:32 24 Feb 2011

I dont like to blow my own trumpet but i am a bit if a techy myself and most things i can repair. However hereis my problem my laptop is rather old and the on board speakers stopped producing sound wich realy didnt bother me as i bought a 2.1 system.
I just plug in the jack and job done, however i looked after friends son who jumped on the laptop without permission and plugged the speakers in. But actualy plugged in a feed wire for antoher speaker sending about 12 watts to my audio out jack.
After this i could get no sound what soever even when windows was convinced my sound was palying, but windows would not pick up my device (conexant hid def audio). It simply said high def audio so i rang the number with my whatever happens insurance papers and got put throught to a tech guy.
I told him what had happened he was convinced there shouldnt be a problem and that i should just reinstall the drivers wich HE MADE ME DO 3 times despite an error message stating the device was not working properly.
So he said ring back in the morning, did that and they scheduled my laptop for pick up in 6 days time. 1 week passed and i rang them to see if anyone could tell me anything as to whats happening with it.
I had a woman come on the phone who took all my details and said "ok mr ******* i have your details on screen it takes up to 14 days to recieve your faulty machine, 14 days to check, 14 days to meake a repair, (this could be delayed by waiting for replacement parts to arrive) then further 14 days for it to get back to me.
So i said ok but that sounds like a bit of a long time to have no machine as it is needed for work and so forth.
She then said it's not her problem and that she would like to add there are currently five thousand units in for repair and they had staff working extra overtime to get through it all so ring backin about a month.
Its now been 2 weeks and i need my machine back any ideas ?????

spuds 22:49 24 Feb 2011

If you put Tech Guys into the search box, you may find many cases similar to that of your own. There is plenty of advice there that you might be able to use.

Failing that, you could try Consumer Direct click here

LastChip 23:06 24 Feb 2011

But you could construct a book from the amount of complaints on here alone about the TechGuys.

Search the web and you could probably fill a small data centre.

I'll leave you to draw your own conclusions.

I'm sure there will be many people interested in the result as to how long it finally takes and what condition it's in when you get it back.

One thing is for certain. It is not by any stretch of the imagination, a slick service. A month or more to repair a computer is a sick joke. And of course, that's "not their problem"!

Just remember that, the next time you're offered an extended warranty.

Forum Editor 23:16 24 Feb 2011

cover damage to the computer that is caused by misuse?

My understanding is that it doesn't, although I'm happy to be proved wrong.

vonjessen 17:28 25 Feb 2011

**edit** i reposted the first part of this post yesterday it is a month old.

Firstly thankyou for the replies!.
Having waited a month, i was promised a voucher code. I rang the tech guys for it and was told i didnt need one because my laptop had been repaired and sent back.
I recieved it yesterday afternoon and it had NOT been repaired.
Quite upset i rang the tech guys and demanded my voucher code, however all i got was that isn't going to happen.
So i called Dixons support ( my insurance company) and told them the situation.
It was a long and very annoying call but the guy known only as lloyd managed to bypass the condem and write off procedure and told me to go to Curry/pcworld and have one of the tech's there confirm it was unrepaired.
Did that at 9 this morning but the notes had not been added and the poor guy at Currys couldnt do anything.
Returned home made another phonecall and was told to go back to the store.
Did that the notes had been added and i am now the proud owner of a white hp g62 (Some might say it's not the best but i quite like it!!).
So with that said, Thankyou lloyd @ dixons support and a very special thankyou for Chris the techy @ Currys/pcworld. thanks for the replies to this post and now i leave you with no intention of boring you with this anymore :)..

User-1739393 19:07 04 Apr 2011

I too have had great problems with TechGuys (or KnowHow as they are now known). My laptop has been back and to 4 times for repair over 3 months and each time it has been returned with either the same fault or a new completely different one.
Eventually having had enough, obtained the address of their troubleshooting "Correspondence Team" (not customer services)and wrote to them with full details and (from force of habit since I am a retired Solicitor) threatening proceedings. Within a few days I received a phone call offering to write the laptop off and supply me with vouchers towards a new one.
Before I consider accepting this offer can anyone tell me from their experience how generous the voucher offer might be. I bought my 19 inch screen entertainment laptop in November 2007 for about £700. I have read elsewhere that vouchers of £1250 were given to one customer as a write-off for a 18 month old laptop which had cost only £950 new - but this seems too good to be true!

Forum Editor 23:59 04 Apr 2011

It might have been better to start a new thread of your own, rather than posting in someone else's resolved thread.

That said, the company is not obliged to provide you with a voucher to the value of your original purchase, but with one that will provide you with a replacement machine of a similar or better specification.

The fact that your laptop is almost three and a half years old will probably mean that a replacement of a similar specification isn't going to be possible. You'll end up with a better machine, but the monetary value might be less than the original.

Dragon_Heart 02:22 05 Apr 2011

Just think of all the work that could provide for local PC repair shops.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?