Unhappy with work carried out by electrician

donki 15:54 04 Mar 2011

Hi guys,

So bought my new house and decided to put in some downlighting in the hall, livingroom and bedroom. I went round last night to see the results and was very disappointed. Althougth everything is where it should be and the fittings seem to be sitting snugly in the holes, light is leaking from the edges of the fittings onto the ceiling creating a haloing effect around the light. I have measured the holes used to hold the fittings and they appear to be 5mm larger than they should be (hole diameter is stated on the box the fittings came in), would 5mm cause such a problem?

I have posted this in a DIY forum also but would like to know how any of you would go about resolving this. I have contacted the electrician who is coming out on Monday night but he stated on the phone that he had installed these downlights before without any problem. He obviously seen the result when he had finished the install but it appears he doesn't see a problem but I clearly do.

Thansk in advance for any imput. Apologies FE if this isn't suitable for the forum as its not PC related but usually anything is discussed on here.

oresome 16:11 04 Mar 2011

I would put a thin bead of sealant on the rim of the lamps and press back into position.

The sealant will spread out and fill any small gaps between the rim and the ceiling where the light is leaking from.

donki 16:15 04 Mar 2011

I was thinking somthing like that myself but is that a fire risk or is there fireproof selant?

Forum Editor 16:22 04 Mar 2011

come in various sizes, but a very common hole size is 66mm.

A few millimetres upward variation on the hole sizes isn't usually a problem, but if the bezels aren't pulled tight to the ceiling by the spring clips you'll get light spillage. If the hole has been oversized by 5mm it's probably too much.

If these lights are fitted into an old lath and plaster ceiling it can get difficult, especially if the electrician isn't very careful when running the cutter in. Old lime plaster crumbles very easily, and that gives rise to problems.

oresome's solution is a good one, and if the holes have been overcut too much it may be the only answer.

Forum Editor 16:23 04 Mar 2011

There's no fire risk with a proprietary sealant. The bezel temperature doesn't rise high enough.

donki 16:31 04 Mar 2011

Thanks for this, sounds promising it is indeed a plaster board that does crumble a bit if not careful although e has cut the holes very tidily, when you say pull the fittings tight how eaxatly to you mean? Pull on the 2 legs that catch onto the plaster board at the top of the hole? I will give that a go, if that fails I will look for some sealant, I take it you mean apply it to the inside rim?

The electrician should be doing this, yes? If they are fitted properly there should be no light spilling surely.

Forum Editor 16:55 04 Mar 2011

by two spring-loaded arms that swing over inside the ceiling and hold the lights tight to the ceiling. Sometimes a better fit can be achieved by simply pulling the fitting gently by the rim with the tips of your fingers and easing it from the ceiling. Be careful, because the spring arms can snap down and give your fingers a nasty rap.

Then rotate the fitting and gently push it back, so the spring arms are in different positions on the hole. As you push the fitting home you should feel the spring arms pulling it tight to the ceiling.

If you use sealant, apply a thin bead to the top of the bezel, where it will sit against the ceiling. As the light is pulled into the hole the sealant should close any gaps. Use a damp cloth to run gently around the rim to remove any surplus.

Forum Editor 16:56 04 Mar 2011

the electrician should do the job.

donki 17:00 04 Mar 2011

Thanks FE I will have a look tonight, some are not accessable to me so I will just try it out on the ones upstairs and can let the spark know.

Ex plorer 15:22 07 Mar 2011

Hi I agree with FE the Electrician should be told, and given the opportunity to put it right for you most genuine trades men would rather come back and put things right if you are disappointed with the workmanship.

spuds 15:57 07 Mar 2011

In the Toolstation catalogue click here it gives the Down Light Holesaw kit (90948- £13.23) as 50,60,65,72,75,86 mm diameter holes.

The same applies to the Screwfix click here catalogue, with drill sizes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?