Under Age AOL Sign-up

tims31 00:10 06 Aug 2004

A friend of mine has just returned from holiday and found out that just before they went away his 13 year old son had signed them up for AOL broadband. By the time they had returned it was past the 14 day cool off period and they now say they will not cancel his contract. Also, his son signed up for the most expensive contract as well!! As his son is 13 years old I am sure that this is not a legally binding contract as the 13 year old cannot pay the bill and my friend is expected to pay for it even though he knew nothing about this. Is there anyway he can get out of this contract seeing as he knew nothing about it and can AOL enforce this as he has signed no contract?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Tims31

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:14 06 Aug 2004

They ought to have more control over their idiot child. The parents are responsible for his actions, better training would have helped.

G

picklesy 07:20 06 Aug 2004

to sign up for aol bb you need to give bank or credit card details where did he get them from.

TECHNODIMWIT 08:12 06 Aug 2004

click here

To order AOL Broadband, you must (i) be 18 years or over;

I think AOL should cancell the contract imiediatly, i`ve found them to be reasonable in the past.

Smegs 11:06 06 Aug 2004

GANDALF <|:-)>, well said.

Tims31, why was the child left at home on his own??? More to the point.

Sorry to point this out.

spuds 11:47 06 Aug 2004

Contact AOL,and point them in the direction of their terms and conditions.I am sure that AOL will cancel the contract and assist in this matter, when they are sure that it was a 13 year old who applied for their service.

It makes me wonder, how a 13 year old, as obtained banking details which have been readily excepted by AOL.Perhaps the parents should seriously look into this matter,before further incidents come to life. Boredom of a child can reach high proportions, especially if a responsible person is not present.

TBH1 11:48 06 Aug 2004

I don't think thre's any mention of the child being left alone . And if you think you have troubles with a 13 year old, you wait till he's older !! :)

tims31 12:28 06 Aug 2004

Thanks all, Will pass the terms and conditions on to him. Also as stated, the child signed up BEFORE they went away and was not left alone at home, but agree with you, how did he get the bank details to enable him to sign up in the first place...I will have to ask.

Tims31

Smegs 15:52 06 Aug 2004

I now understand. I thought the child was at home, while his parents was on holiday.

Sorry.

georgemac 16:12 06 Aug 2004

I feel for your friends, hopefully aol will cancel the contract, I am sure they will, any decent company would. This highlights a problem with signing up online where no real absolute proof of identity is required.

How can a child get hold of your bank details?, well simply just by looking at the bank statement which undoubtedly gets delivered every month, and is filed away somewhere, presumably not under lock & key (well mine are not anyway).

Children are naturally very inquisitive and some quitew rebellious at that age, no matter how good the parents are or how good an upbringing the child has had.

It is impossible to judge people as parents on the basis of what has been posted above, and those who have made a rash judgement should be ashamed of themselves.

Gandalf I hate to point this out, may be wrong, and know you will not care, but it is a good while since I have seen you post anything positive. And I assume you have no children.

Urotsukidoji 16:12 06 Aug 2004

how did this go??

all sorted or not?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?