UK Distance Selling Regulations, Returns.

Mr Mistoffelees 12:14 30 Aug 2013
Answered

If I order an item online but, upon receipt and opening of the packaging, find the item is as described but, not suitable, does the retailer have the right to demand that the packaging is retained in perfect order?

It is my understanding that if the packaging must be opened, in order to examine the goods, they cannot demand that the packaging is undamaged, as it may not be possible to open it without damage and the goods cannot be seen prior to purchase. I do not know, however if my assumption is correct.

lotvic 13:03 30 Aug 2013
Answer

I got this when I did a google for: uk distance selling regulations returns can i open the package

"Packaging: Under a distance selling contract, a supplier cannot make refunds subject to the goods being returned unopened in their original packaging. One of the principles of the distance selling regulations is to give you a chance to examine the goods at home, not having had a chance to do so in the shop. It would be impossible for you to do this without opening the packaging and trying the product out. Having said this, you will still be under a duty to take reasonable care of the goods while in your possession, and may be subject to certain instructions such as not to wear shoes outdoors, or remove hygiene seals. But you can never be penalised simply because you did not return the goods in their original packaging." ClickHere

The goods you can't return ClickHere

There are some goods you can't return if you simply change your mind, including:

1. CDs, DVDs or software if you've broken the seal on the wrapping
  2. perishable and other items that deteriorate rapidly such as food and flowers
  3. tailor-made or personalised goods
  4. underwear and earrings
  Chronos the 2nd 13:15 30 Aug 2013

All the info you need is here. DSR.

But in a nutshell of course you can remove the packaging to inspect the goods.

Mr Mistoffelees 14:45 30 Aug 2013

Thanks both. I knew I had read about it before but, for some reason, couldn't find the information myself today. Damned brain's going soft!

lotvic 19:44 30 Aug 2013

going, going.... gone ;-)

Mr Mistoffelees 20:34 30 Aug 2013

What went where?

Forum Editor 18:24 31 Aug 2013

Transferred to Tech Consumer Advice from Speakers Corner.

Your assumption is correct by the way, as others have already confirmed.

lotvic 19:45 31 Aug 2013

Mr Mistoffelees, when you said "Damned brain's going soft!" - I didn't realise you were serious ;-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?