tv/monitor or should I buy freeview etc pci cards

kelemvor 22:12 23 Oct 2008

Hi guys,

I'm looking to build a pc in the next few weeks but am a bit unsure what to do or the display. I want a monitor that I can run my ps2 thru (and ps3 when I eventually get one), it would also be pretty cool if I could watch freeview too.

So, do I go for a tv/monitor with all sorts of ports and built in free view or should I get a good dvi/hdmi monitor and buy a freeview pci card? I can always buy a ps3 in future if I can't get a scart/rgb to dvi (or hdmi) convertor lead for using my ps2. I basically want to run everything thru it :0)

I'd be grateful for your thoughts/ideas - maybe you can suggest a different solution.

Cheers

Stuartli 14:45 24 Oct 2008

A good Freeview PCI TV card (fed with a decent signal) and quality monitor will, IMHO, best fit the bill.

Far better than using a TV as a monitor.

tigertop2 17:26 24 Oct 2008

Stuartli is right. I would only add do go for a card rather than a USB dongle as any reception problems I have had have been associted with USB devices rather than cards

kelemvor 18:13 24 Oct 2008

I had seen that both LG and Samsung are offering combo screens and thought that they may be a good idea, but it does make more sense I guess to buy cards - at least I can swap them out if they break - no can do with tv/monitor.

Do any of you know of any monitors that may at least have rgb connectors? - would love to pipe my ps2 thru it

Thanks

kelemvor 18:19 24 Oct 2008

I meant s-video/av port not rgb

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone