tv/internet

wizzbizz 23:24 07 Sep 2006

Hi l am looking for full internet and tv access through one tv in the kitchen. What tv would best support this and how would l go about it.
PS the kitchen has a data point to the network and an aerial point

Stuartli 23:58 07 Sep 2006

A television set is probably the most unsuitable medium you could use for accessing the internet - the display technology of a TV and a computer monitor are vastly different for very good reasons.

You would do better using a cheap reconditioned PC monitor and, if you can, using a PCI or USB stick Freeview card for the TV transmissions.

In any case a kitchen environment isn't the best for such equipment...:-)

wizzbizz 00:06 08 Sep 2006

So l should look a quality tfts then does anybody know of a tft that can be directly linked to the internet

Stuartli 11:17 08 Sep 2006

Some TFT televisions can also be used as a PC monitor, but you basically still can't link "directly" to the Internet without a computer system.

Bush used to make a set top box, which you connected to a TV set, that sold for around £100 but it used its own proprietory website and a dialup link for a restricted Internet service.

neil79 12:19 08 Sep 2006

There is a new digibox coming out soonish (next month or so i think i read somewhere) that is a freeview/PVR box that also lets you plug in broadband connection so you can have internet and download facilities for films. Can not remember who is selling it but a google search might be able to help you.

wizzbizz 14:12 08 Sep 2006

will keep my eye out for that one cheers

FreddyNoFriends 01:13 13 Sep 2006

I was in PC world the other day and they had a 17" widescreen TFT monitor/tv, with freeview built in, for about £180. They were knocking them out as a monitor option as part of their budget, "on offer" system costing £480 or thereabouts.
Looked OK for the money...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?