TV through monitor

dave84 13:05 22 Sep 2006

Hi,
my mum wants to buy a flat screen tv, but before i let her do that, i was wondering:-
is it at all possible to be able to play tv (including sky & DVD player) through her existing monitor (came with emachines comp bought 3 years ago - has D-Sub input at back thats all). i would like to be able to do this without having to use the pc as a middle man, i.e just turn the mointor on. is this at all possible...?
cheers for any help

DieSse 15:08 22 Sep 2006

See the last item on the page click here

DieSse 15:27 22 Sep 2006

Or you may be able to use a Freeview box with this adapter click here

but you would need to change the cables over.

Stuartli 16:01 22 Sep 2006

dave84 does state that "I would like to be able to do this without having to use the PC as a middle man".

In any case, in view of the price of the TV620PIP, a straightforward Freeview PCI TV card or USB alternative would do the same job at a fraction of the price.

The second item you mention is only for LCD and plasma sets and a three-year-old e-machine system would be/is unlikely to have had a TFT screen.

DieSse 16:46 22 Sep 2006

Quote from the first link:-

The computer doesn't need to be switched on to use the TV-620PIP - in fact this box can be used to turn any stand alone monitor into a TV

The second link doesn't actually exclude CRT monitors

quote:-

Q) does this cable connect to vga computer monitors?
A)Provided the monitor supports a horizontal scan rate of 15.625KHz

Yes it's correct that this is more likely on a TFT screen, but that's not the limiting factor - it's the horizontal scan rate.

DieSse 17:18 22 Sep 2006

Another approach is to replce the monitor with a combined Monitor/TV.

This will act as the TV and improve the computer. Example :- click here

dave84 18:06 22 Sep 2006

thanks for all the info. not entirely sure of mum's budget for a new tv, though some the ideas here do sound interesting. The pc does have a tft monitor, only 15" so it might be a case of gettin something bigger. thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?