TV card enquiry

shadespug 22:28 04 Jan 2007

I am wanting to watch tv on my pc, digital tv as well as analog if thats possible.

Can someone tell me if they are easy to fit and is there a type/make to avoid. Also which ones/type are the best to go for.

Totally-braindead 22:36 04 Jan 2007

It is possible theres a lot of them about. They do need a proper aerial though and a good signal. If you live in an area that doesn't get freeview than the card won't work either. Suggest an external one if you're not too keen on working inside a PC. Something like this click here digital only for both something like this click here make sure your computer meets the minimum specs. Theres lots of others click here

Roadgiant 23:29 04 Jan 2007

I bought my son one of these for Xmas, at the time Maplins had them on special for £30.I read somewhere that the v-gear is a rebadged freecom.
At present we are using it with just the supplied aerial, it needed a bit of trial and error to get the antenna in the right place.
First time I ran the software it picked up about 26 channels (mix of radio and TV), the second time it picked up 13 channels (but different ones to the 26!)
I then tried it in another position and got 0!!
Eventually I found a location where it received 53 channels.
Up to now I have not managed to get any ITV channels, hopefully in the near future I will give it a try on an external aerial, but overall my son (and myself ) are very pleased with it.

shadespug 09:40 05 Jan 2007

Thanks for all the help everyone. I will have a look at your suggestions and I will post back if I need any more help. Thanks very much again for the help.

Stuartli 16:11 05 Jan 2007

The Freecom USB Freeview stick is, itself, a rebadged product IIRC...:-)

The reason for not being able to pick up ITV channels, or only infrequently, is due to the method of transmission (64QAM standard rather than 16QAM).

It's a source of concern in the trade, both for standard TV sets with Freeview, set top boxes or computer TV cards.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?