Turion vs Pentium M

Peanuts309 15:45 02 Feb 2006

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a laptop that can multitask and play games for the next 3 years - looking to spend between 1000 to 1500 pounds maximum. Reading through the PC Advisor magazine for a while now but they do not seem to have any laptops in the Power Laptops category using Turion 64 processors. E.g. the top laptop in the budget category uses a Turion ML-28. That is ancient isn't it?

Surely this cannot be realistic considering that the Turion ML42 processor is readily available and more future proof than Pentium M? Do the charts need some updating then or not?

So I would like to hear from you and help me purchase the right laptop. Thank you for your help in advance.

rmcqua 15:55 02 Feb 2006

I would take a serious look at these.
click here
The AMD Athlon 64 4000 is a pretty nice processor and you will still have plenty of your budget left.

ade.h 16:20 02 Feb 2006

I would always opt - and indeed have done - for the generally better battery life of the Pentium M in an otherwise similar spec. Very good performance as well, though I am sure that the Turion is very respectable in this respect. I don't lose sleep over a few points in Sysmark! Battery life and heat production are more important.

However...

You probably have sufficient budget to buy one of the imminently forthcoming - any moment now - Pentium Core processors. It's a dual-core Pentium M and if that's not a dream choice for a performance laptop I don't know what is. PC Pro was hugely impressed with the performance AND battery life of this processor. Its performance is such that it can be clocked low and run even lower, while still out-running even a good Pentium M.

Do your research carefully, wait a little while for this model to go on sale, and pick a Core.

ade.h 16:24 02 Feb 2006

I've just checked the last issue; it has reviewed a Sony at £1300, an Evesham at £1175 and an Acer at £1760. Needless to say, the Sony came out on top, with 5 out of 6 in every category.

Are you planning on taking the laptop around with you much is it going to be more of a desktop replacement?

I think AMDs are better performers but Intels are better for battery life.

ade.h 22:37 02 Feb 2006

If he/she wants a laptop, I assume that he/she would be taking it around with him/her.

ade.h 22:40 02 Feb 2006

And in that price range, Pentium Core - given that it edges the performance of a benchmark Pentium D - would trounce an AMD quite comfortably!

click here

Peanuts309 09:19 03 Feb 2006

Hi Guys and Gals,

I would first like to thank you for the information you are providing me and for helping me out.

Ok, portability and battery life is not as important to me processing and graphics power. Having said that I dont want a DTR that will run out of battery in less than an hour. I commute to work for 45 minutes so it would be nice to have the battery last that long.

Secondly I was hoping to get, and I am sorry if I offend anyone, a 17 inch screen, just for the space so that I dont have to keep clicking on the toolbar at the bottom for the various programs/windows that I am going to be running at the same time. For example, say iTunes, Photoshop, Corel Draw...

I have had a look at the following 17 inch laptops so far.

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo M 4438 - Petium M 770, 1Gb ram, 2x80Gb 5400rpm SATA, 256Mb nVidia Geforce 680o. But they have some hardware 'issues' (something about lag caused by hardware defects - you are welcome to check this out on the Fujitsu Siemens forum).

The other one I had my eye on was the HP ZD8398EA - Pentium 4 650, 2Gb Ram, 120Gb 4200 EIDE hard disk, 256 ATI Mobility Radeon X600. The hard disk put me off this one.

Now I am looking at the Rock Quaddra T64 - AMD Turion ML-42, 2Gb Ram, 256 ATI RAdeon X700, 100gb 7200 SATA.

Hope this info is useful and thanks once again for helping me out.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse's new logo: the trainer brand looks to its heritage for a fresh identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?