Trying to find again was a link posted on here

Giggle n' Bits 19:28 08 Sep 2006

about say within the last 6 months for the official Legislation which regards to ISPs and there issueing of MAC codes etc.

Cos a friend has been refused there MAC code.

I know it was one of the very regular visitors here who posted the link to a downloadable Pdf.

So any knowledge and docs about ISP's failing to issue MAC codes and supply a legit serice alo please.

anskyber 19:47 08 Sep 2006
  wee eddie 20:51 08 Sep 2006

It rather depends on your friends Contract with the ISP.

Dipso 23:21 08 Sep 2006
  Stuartli 00:32 09 Sep 2006

At present the issuing of a MAC is still voluntary, although the majority of ISPs will provide one on request.

It can depend on how long the original contract has been in operation but, of course, a contract is two-way and if an ISP has failed to provide the service or honour other promises according to the contract, then it effectively becomes null and void.

Giggle n' Bits 01:41 09 Sep 2006

he's been told by Tiscali on a second call that he will have to wait till the end of the month until cancelling his service first then it will take another 3 weeks to actually free his line from tiscali.

I think this is well wrong and having to wait till mid october is a joke when a ISP can provide a mac number usually in 24hrs of working day period.

Someone pointed me to a download pdf file about the in's & Outs of what a ISP should comply with.

wee eddie 08:49 09 Sep 2006

As Stuartli and I pointed out. Your friends contract with Tiscali will be the basis upon which the availability is decided.

When you join an ISP, you sign a Contract. If you wish to change this Contract you may do so only with the agreement with the Company with whom the contract was signed.

Of course, if the Contract has been completed, then not providing you with a MAC number is against the law of the land.

Stuartli 09:34 09 Sep 2006

Actually it's not against the law of the land as it's still a voluntary agreement amongst the ISPs which is, hopefully, to be made obligatory in the near future.

I obtained three separate MACs from Tiscali during the period from last November to April (even though my 12 month contract didn't actually expire until April) - in all three cases they arrived by e-mail within 15 minutes.

On the first two occasions, although I didn't eventually use the MAC, I had pointed out to Tiscali that a contract is a two-way agreement and that it was the ISP that had broken the terms. This was accepted.

Giggle n' Bits 13:07 09 Sep 2006

so are you saying Tiscali don't have to issue a MAC within say 5 days. Is there anything he can do to get them to pull there finger out ?

wee eddie 13:32 09 Sep 2006

When does his Contract end?

You will notice that Stuartli, in his last post, explained that they had already released him from his contract because he had persuaded them that they had broken the Terms of Contract.

Giggle n' Bits 13:36 09 Sep 2006

jst that he pays a monthly fee and that is the end of the month but when cancelling boradband why carn't they cancel with immediate effect. Wanadoo did with mine in May 06.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires