Is trouble brewing at TalkTalk ?

cocteau48 12:37 17 May 2009

Just spent some time browsing the threads on the Talk Talk members forum site click here a number of contributors are noticing the sudden rise in threads with a very similar theme.

"I have had a very stable connection for months/years and am suddenly experiencing a large drop (25% -30%) in my download speed"

As TalkTalk are now actively promoting various "paid for" speed boost packages some members are beginning to question as to whether the "up to 8 meg - free for life" customers are starting to to be penalized in favor of those who are prepared to pay for the speed boost package.

Are they just being cynical or is there some substance behind it.
Maybe something to keep an eye on if you are a TalkTalk customer.

cocteau48 12:40 17 May 2009

Dead link ...try again:
click here

AL47 13:16 17 May 2009

our internet is slow, but last week it did drop to 40KBps from its usual 200KBps

Stuartli 13:27 17 May 2009

My TalkTalk connection speed consistently averages 6.9Mb and I'm using my system for a very large part of the day and evening ("up to 8Mb" service).

Stuartli 13:28 17 May 2009

..and it's 6.93Mb.

I'm 580 yards as the crow flies from the exchange and, obviously, the phone line length is much more.

cocteau48 15:59 17 May 2009

Stuartli
I do not pretend to know how the speed boost works but if you are in an area where there is a reasonably high uptake for it I cannot see how it does not have some effect on the throughput at the exchange and that may well impact on the "free service" customers.
The vast majority of TT customers are probably on the original "free broadband forever" package which is never likely to generate much income for them and I can see the day coming when TT try to arm wrestle you into paying for a decent download speed - and their tactic to achieve that may well be to gradually prune the speed that you we are getting at present.

Stuartli 16:40 17 May 2009

In think you are attributing something that is not actually there...:-)

I've been with TT for more than three years and my speeds, from one of the busiest exchanges in my town, are excellent (TT has its own LLU equipment installed).

For the modest cost of a £1 a week extra TT is now offering a speed boost up to the maximum available (26Mb in some cases) and I would have thought that was a true bargain...:-)

TalkTalk boss Charles Dunstone is promising even more investment over the next year or two following the acquisition of Tiscali, Pipex etc.

Certainly since going over to LLU at my exchange in early March 2008 and from 2Mb to "up to 8Mb", my connection speeds have been excellent and neither I nor any others I know on TT using my exchange have any complaints about speeds.

In fact I've seen some comments from Tiscali users that their speeds have improved since the TT takeover.

The whole idea, as I'm sure you are aware, with the installation and use of LLU equipment is to keep operating costs to a minimum whilst providing a better broadband (and phone) service.

If I find any deterioration in my connection speeds or TT service, be sure you will be among the first to know...:-)

Stuartli 16:41 17 May 2009

Should read...(24Mb) above...

Stuartli 19:02 17 May 2009

>>where there is a reasonably high uptake for it >>

My exchange also enabled O2/Be on virtually the same date as TalkTalk (in March 2006, not 2008 as I inadvertently typed above) and 02?be's website lists coverage as "high" for every aspect of its service for my post code (as well as over a very wide area of the town).

So I presume it will be the "up to 20Mb" service.

cocteau48 19:23 17 May 2009

My exchange,which has been LLU'd, is certainly not listed as running at capacity levels but there is certainly not a lot to spare.

Speeds certainly improved dramatically after the LLU process but are still prone to fluctuations.

Download speeds can drop by 20% at peak times. With the exchange situated midway between two major schools and their relevant catchment areas you can almost set your watch by the drop in d/l speed around 4.30 pm Monday to Friday during school term time.

If it is sailing that close to the wind I am not sure how it copes with pumping out 20 Meg plus to certain customers without affecting others.

Forum Editor 23:39 17 May 2009

to wonder about bandwidth availability, and you're right to wonder about what happens as more and more people take up a higher bandwidth offer. Adding extra bandwidth is a costly business for an ISP, and as general bandwidth consumption continues to soar - largely due to YouTube and BBC iPlayer - ISPs are being faced with some pretty difficult sums.

People are inevitably going to ask questions about bandwidth allocation. Neither YouTube nor iPlayer bring any additional revenue to an ISP, yet some of them have seen their bandwidth consumption treble since the iPlayer service was launched. It doesn't take an Einstein to work out that ISPs find what they euphemistically call 'traffic shaping measures' an attractive prospect as they seek to sell higher speed, higher-priced broadband services into the market.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?