Toshiba and LG - views please

the-emsworth-kid 21:13 20 May 2005

I'm thinking about buying - a Toshiba Portable DVD player - SDP1600 and an LG DVD recorder - DR 4912 at the best price I've found - around £150 each.

Any comments please on the Toshiba, apart from playing dvds on the move, I really want to use it as a kind of portable photo album using jpeg stills and to be able to play VCD's for a small 'sit on the sofa' audience.

With the LG all I want to do is be able to copy from VHS - no editing or time slip recording or any other fancy stuff.

Comments on suitability - relalabity and/or anything esle would be would be very welcome - thank you.

Joe R 21:23 20 May 2005

the-emsworth-kid,

Cannot comment on Toshiba, but over the years I have used a lot of equipment by Lucky Goldstar, (mostly P.C), and I have found everything from cd writers, monitors, and dvd writers, to be very reliable.

g0nvs 21:55 20 May 2005

Have a LG DVD Recorder and It works perfectly. Transferred all my VHS tapes to DVD. Also have LG TFT monitor and TV etc, all flawless.

SEASHANTY 12:11 21 May 2005

Surprised with LG's own define of the specification of this machine. They don't tell you much.
click here

Stuartli 14:34 21 May 2005

Toshiba is a top class brand and a lot of its products are manufactured here in the UK.

I've had three Toshiba 21in televisions since 1990 - none of them has missed a beat or required attention apart from the original, which blew a fuse about seven or eight years ago for no apparent reason...:-)

My mate, who runs an independent audio/visual/appliances outlet sells a vast number of Toshiba products annually; he wouldn't stock the brand (or any other for that matter) if they were not consistently reliable.

Stuartli 14:36 21 May 2005

To make it clear, all three Toshiba TVs I mention are still in family use.

SEASHANTY 16:02 21 May 2005

For the DVD recorder you could consider the Panasonic DMR-ES10 which is multiregion chipped and with free delivery by CityLink for £175-48. This machine also has the advantage of DVD-RAM support and these discs can be used similarly to a hard drive. click here
Info on DVD-RAM
click here

the-emsworth-kid 10:40 24 May 2005

Folks thank you for your, as ever, valued input. I thinkI may up my sights on the DVDR and go for the Panasonic DMR EH50.

Can I ask whether anyone has hands-on experience of the Toshiba SDP 1600?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

This is what design agencies will look like in 2032

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache