Toshiba Equium Failed after 14 Months?

Taff™ 10:59 09 Mar 2006

Friend of mine bought a new Toshiba Equium from PC World last year but without an extended warranty. After 14 months it failed and they contacted Toshiba who in turn recommended one of their approved service agents. The laptop was duly collected and a repair estimate returned. Just short of £450 "To replace Faulty System Board"

I have advised them to pay the £35 to have the laptop returned - The HDD is worth that! I`ve also suggested they re-contact Toshiba for their reaction.

The real question is where do they stand legally? I seem to recall other threads on this subject where a consumer could expect a product, and in particular it`s main component, to last a reasonable time which 14 months isn`t. Any thoughts?

spuds 11:29 09 Mar 2006

You could have upto 6 years to make a claim against a faulty product. In the case of a laptop, it would be expected to last more than 14 months, perhaps not allowing for battery failure.

Contact ConsumerDirect for expert guidance on this matter click here

Taff™ 12:00 09 Mar 2006

I contacted them as you suggested and you`re right. I shall be tripping off to PC World as soon as it is returned. Any other comments would be welcome.

spuds 12:09 09 Mar 2006

What did ConsumerDirect advice?

Their guidance reference may help others in a similar situation.

Taff™ 13:22 09 Mar 2006

Good Point. They said that we should have taken this up with PC World initially. Now armed with the repair estimate we should approach them and see what they would be prepared to negotiate. They suggested it might be reasonable if they paid for the parts (£250 + VAT) and Carriage (£30 + VAT) and my friend paid for the Labour (£80 + VAT)

If PC World would not negotiate a letter needs to be sent to the branch and Head Office stating the facts, allowing them 14 days to respond. If they did not we should take it back to Consumer Direct.

If, however the computer had been bought using a credit card, at this stage they should contact the credit card company and make a claim - this would involve various forms and copies of all correspondence and a record of conversations, dates and times. They could "Intervene" in the dispute under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Hope I remembered it all correctly!

spuds 15:08 09 Mar 2006

The advice seems about right, especially on the involvement of section 75 (equal liability), which I never considered to mention.

Would mention at this point, some credit card companies on initial approach under section 75, try to avoid the issue (they cannot). The same rules apply to a computer finance agreement.

Taff™ 07:04 21 Mar 2006

My friend decided to speak to Toshiba UK since she already had a dialogue with them. They offered to sell her a 2 year extended warranty and fix the laptop for free. The only snag is they want to charge an "out of warranty" fee for this which I think is about £160. She would accept the normal charge which is slightly less than £100 and has counter proposed that. I`ll let you know the outcome.

DamianScott 13:10 21 Mar 2006

Hi Taff,

Sorry to hear about your friend's problems. It's a real bummer when something dies when it's just out of warranty.

If all else fails. Try these guys click here they may be able to replace the system board for a lower price than Toshiba.

Best regards,

Damian

anchor 14:41 21 Mar 2006

Back in 1999, the EU parliament passed a directive that by January 2002 all member states must comply with their directive that all new consumer goods must carry at least a 2 year warranty.

click here

This was not done by the UK government; the opinion seeming to be that we are better covered by existing legislation. I am sure Taff™`s friend would not agree; facing either a charge of £100, or perhaps a court action to get the repair done free.

Better covered?, I think not!.

Taff™ 15:45 21 Mar 2006

Thanks for that link! Not even Consumer Direct mentioned this which I find amazing. Did this legislation actually get onto the UK statute?

Taff™ 09:15 22 Mar 2006

Toshiba have agreed to the reduced figure so it looks like the laptop will be repaired under warranty - A fair result the client feels and less hassle than pursuing the legal route She`s been without a computer for 5 weeks now and the kids are driving her mad!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?