Toshiba?

NotVeryTechie 16:27 13 Feb 2008

Is Toshiba a good laptop brand? How does it stack up against Acer? Any other GOOD brands in the same price range (£+- 400).

Forum Editor 17:23 13 Feb 2008

The answer to that - as far as I'm concerned - is definitely yes. I've owned several Toshiba laptops, and I love them. Toshiba is one of the best-respected names in the laptop business.

NotVeryTechie 17:31 13 Feb 2008

Thank you for the quick reply! I have seen a few not so good reviews here and there and was a bit nervous, but have also heard they are great.

anskyber 17:39 13 Feb 2008

I have a Toshiba laptop, now 7 years old and it has not missed a beat.

flycatcher1 18:17 13 Feb 2008

Two Toshiba Laptops in the family - both excellent.

Coffee Adict 18:51 13 Feb 2008

I love mine too.

Kemistri 18:53 13 Feb 2008

I don't think they are as good as they used to be, in certain respects. A client recently showed me his new 15.4" Satellite -- I can't remember the model number, but it was about £600 -- and after a succession of Toshibas, he's disappointed with the build and finish of this example. Despite being heavy for its size with a very thick chassis, it feels plasticky and has some flex. The lid is plastic rather than metal and it feels like it could crack if it takes a knock. The trackpad buttons are flimsy and springy. They should be quite a bit better than that, even at £600. This is not unique to Toshiba, though, sadly.

Ranger 07:48 14 Feb 2008

I have bought 3 Toshiba Laptops (2 for the work and 1 for myself)very good IMO not had any problems with them, as for Acer, I wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, mainly because of 2 different products I had that went wrong (1 was a burner that cost nearly £200 at the time and another was a issue I had with one of their laptops) and their customer service was bloody awful to say the least, swore I would never touch anything to do with Acer again and haven't

interzone55 12:11 14 Feb 2008

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro, 17" screen with GeForce 7600 graphics. Very nice indeed, and runs Half Life 2 at decent frame rates, couldn't ask for anything more at the price...

computerboy1000 12:29 14 Feb 2008

well my toshiba portege m400 is great, and even better, when the cooling fan could not stop spinning they replaced it free

Demora 13:43 14 Feb 2008

2 Toshiba laptops in the house, one is over five years old never had to format or reinstall.

Brilliant.

D

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?