Took the plunge, new pc from dinopc

markedmo 11:23 03 Jul 2009

Hi all, 1st time posting, but have been reading the site for quite a while, while deciding on what and where to buy my new desktop from.

My old machine is around 6yrs old, and I wanted a replacement that would last me a while rather than frequent upgrading needed, so after a lot of dithering, I've gone for the below spec - from dinopc.

Intel core i7 920 processor
Asus P6T SE motherboard
6.0GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz XMS3 memory
1 TB Hard drive
ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB graphics card
700W EZCool Tornado PSU.
Windows Vista Home premium 64 bit OS
Antec 300 case.

It's a fair bit more powerful than what I need currently, will mainly be used for surfing, general admin and a bit of gaming, but I wanted something that won't be completely obselete in a year or so!

Looking around the various 'custom' pc companies, pretty much all of them have their detractors and fans on here. Dino appeared to use decent spec parts though, and were very competitive pricewise, so I bit the bullet and ordered.

Have had a few dealings with their customer service, trying to sort out a Windows 7 upgradee, which wasn't on the original spec, but Ive found them straightforward fair to deal with so far, which hopefully bodes well.

Fingers crossed my machine should arrive early next week, when I'll let you guys know if it's up to scratch.

citadel 19:07 03 Jul 2009

only worry is the psu £40 for a 700w not good.

birdface 19:28 03 Jul 2009

From an old thread.

click here

markedmo 09:10 04 Jul 2009

Fair comment on the PSU being a little cheap, I was stretching my budget though as it was, so hopefully it will be fine for a while at least.

buteman - thanks, I'd seen the thread before buying... Some good, some bad reviews like most if not all I guess. The unhappy customer always speaks louder though, so fingers crossed!!!

cut corners on power supplies and you will regret it! they can take pretty much everything with them, and can lead to generally shocking performance. do't ignore this advice i did once and it cost me about £2k.

markedmo 10:59 09 Jul 2009

Well there a couple of things I've in mind to upgrade in slower time when I have the cash, such as adding a blueray drive and maybe going to 12gb memory, so I'll review the PSU again then.

I had an e-mail to say the PC was dispatched yesterday, slightly outside the 5-10 day window quoted, but I can accept a day or two late if the kit's up to scratch.
Will post later once it's arrived and I've had chance to inspect it and try it out.

Armchair 11:12 09 Jul 2009

click here

I thought £40 was a bit cheap for something like that.

markedmo 11:19 09 Jul 2009

Must admit I didn't bother to research the psu before buying. Still, if it can do the job for 3-6 months until I can swap it for something better, then that'll do I guess.

And if not, then I guess I'll find out how good or otherwise the warranty and after sales service is!!!

Chris the Ancient 12:03 09 Jul 2009

Nice looking psu.

But... look at the reviews! Quite a few unhappy bunnies.

Chris the Ancient 12:04 09 Jul 2009

Sorry. Re-read the thread. Ignore my post!

Armchair 12:36 09 Jul 2009

Hehe, yeah, that PSU is a piece of junk. that's what i'm saying. I wouldn't want to risk using it with any PC, never mind an expensive high-end one like the topic creator has on order.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?