Too old? for DSLR

thospot 16:22 08 Jan 2006

I know there is already a thread with the title 'which digital camera' and I bet you chaps are a bit fed up with the same old questions but I would realy like some help with this and I can't find it in the achives..

I want to buy a digital camera and the price can be as high as £500 £600 but I don't think I want an SLR.. I don't think I could handle a DSLR now because of my age, I haven't got a very good memory (that's my own personal memory or course) which restricts me when it comes to learning from the handbook.

I read a thread a couple of weeks ago where one or two of you highly recomended the Canon 350D. I went to the shop and handled it but it looked so complicated I knew I wouldn't be able to get the best out of it and I don't want to spend a lot of money and not be able to use it to its best advantage.. I know it is possible to buy a camera such as this and not be able to get a decent picture, through ignorance.

Since then I've studied quite a few camera's just below the SLR price. The latest one being Fuji Fine Pix S9500 and now I'm so mixed up in my mind I realy don't know what to do...

If any of you could point me in the right direction I would be ever so obliged.

What would be the best point and shoot camera to get good results?. Would it be the one with the best lense plus a lot of pixels. Should I get one with camera shake taken into consideration?.

What is your experience with these things?.

Please let me know........

pj123 17:05 08 Jan 2006

What do you mean "Too Old". I am 70 years old and have no problem with digital cameras.

If you had a standard SLR film camera in the past then I don't think you will have any problem with a DSLR camera.

Have a look here and see if anything takes your fancy: click here

thospot 17:17 08 Jan 2006

Thanks for the reply pj123...... I was hoping for your personal opinions on the type of camera I should get...

I am tired of looking at all the sites that sell these things... I am 6 years older than you and I have found that its these last years that have realy put the 'kibosh' on things.

It seems as though I take a fancy for one of these cameras and then I start to read the revues from people that have them and that puts me off...

ton 17:34 08 Jan 2006

Why not go for a good compact. My preference is Canon A95.

If you want it simple just set it to auto.

If you need a bit more you have all the manual settings as well.

With this camera you can also fit other lens on to the front quite cheaply.

hzhzhz 17:43 08 Jan 2006

I would also recommend the canon powershot A95. Can now be found at around £180.

thospot 17:45 08 Jan 2006

thanks.
Have you used one of these?. If so, what sort of quality pics do you get?.

I would want mainly pics of my grandchildren and garden birds, buildings etc.....

hzhzhz 17:49 08 Jan 2006

If anti-shake would be useful then perhaps consider the Konica Minolta A2.

SG Atlantis® 17:49 08 Jan 2006

I found Jessops a brilliant place to shop, infact I had a very enjoyable experience in their Belfast shop.

Go into your local one and talk to one of the more senior sales assistants and get them to open the cabinet, try every single unit until your happy with one.

That's what I suggest, although I have been eyeing up a few Canon Powershots myself.

ton 17:51 08 Jan 2006

Have been using the Canon A95 for about a year and am very pleased with it, picture quality is excellent.

Have also been digiscoping with it, pictures of birds (the feathered variety) through a spotting scope or binoculars etc.

pj123 17:53 08 Jan 2006

Well my personal opinions would be a lot different from others peoples.

thospot 17:59 08 Jan 2006

This camera (A95)certainly looks the part. I particularly like the fact that you can add other lenses to it.

What about one with a longer telephoto lens what would you suggest there?

I'ts a good idea to go to the likes of Jessops and I will if I have not already sent for one from the internet when I get out and about a bit later........

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?