Tiscali versus Talk Talk ??

spuds 20:36 17 Nov 2007

I am looking for a consumers report regarding Tiscali and Talk Talk.

Do you use or know someone that uses either of these ISP's, if so, can you provide an opinion as to the customer service and general expectations.

Would you recommend another ISP, who would provide a better service for about the same terms, conditions and prices, as the two mentioned!.

beeuuem 21:09 17 Nov 2007

I have spent some time trying to remotely help someone set up Skype on their system. This has not been helped by the TalkTalk BB being down for three hours on Thursday evening and was down again tonight when I 'phoned to see if we could complete the setup. Apparently the connection is off an a regular basis. We'll try again tomorrow!

Stuartli 21:36 17 Nov 2007

I left Tiscali a year last April (had been with it since 1998 from the WorldOnline days onwards) and moved to TalkTalk.

Best move I ever made.

The cost is dramatically lower, yet the benefits far more ranging - free UK AnyTime calls, free international Anytime calls to 30 or more countries, line rental and 6MB plus broadband speeds, all for £20.50 a month on the TalkTalk International3 package.

MAJ 23:16 17 Nov 2007

Does that include BT line Rental, Stuartli?

Reason I ask is because I was thinking of moving to Tiscali's Broadband and Phone package for £15 a month, it includes line rental, free weekend UK and International calls (10 countries). For £20 a month it's free anytime calls.
Like you were, I have been with Tiscali since VoG was a boy but I've never had a problem with them, so I think I'll stick with them.

MAJ 23:18 17 Nov 2007

Does that include BT line Rental, Stuartli?

Reason I ask is because I was thinking of moving to Tiscali's Broadband and Phone package for £15 a month, it includes line rental, free weekend UK and International calls (10 countries), also includes 2meg broadband, which is my phoneline's limit. For £20 a month it's free anytime calls.
Like you were, I have been with Tiscali since VoG was a boy but I've never had a problem with them, so I think I'll stick with them.

Totally-braindead 23:33 17 Nov 2007

No knowledge of Talk Talk but left Tiscali about 6 months ago and was the best thing I ever did. Worst customer service I have ever received from anyone, they're useless.

Stuartli 23:45 17 Nov 2007

>>Does that include BT line Rental, Stuartli?>>

Yes. Although the phone service and broadband is done through TT's own LLU equipment at my exchange, it remains a BT line from the exchange to my property.

What it basically boils down to is that for under £10 a month you get free UK and international calls (although not 0870 or premium rate lines obviously) and broadband - the rest of the monthly subscription is the normal line rental.

Whether you get "up to 8MB" broadband depends, of course, on your exchange, just as with any other ISP.

cocteau48 08:44 18 Nov 2007

I would completely underscore everything which Stuartli says about Talk Talk.
I am coming to the end of my 18 month contract period and will not be changing to another ISP.
Diverging slightly re Stuartli's 0870/premium rate comment - is is surprising how often this
click here
will get you a conventional geographical no.

spuds 11:10 18 Nov 2007

Thanks for the responses everyone.I put this question due to problems that I am having with Tiscali click here including of late, problems with connections at certain times, which makes me think that Tiscali have oversubscribed at the local exchange and the contention rate is in question. My neighbours who are on Tiscali are having similar problems. Error messages like unable to 'verify username and password'no dial tone' seem to be getting more common, but after a few attempts spread over a period of time, connection is made and held, with the occasional drop-out mid session.Something that was not experienced on a worry scale in the past.

Looking through various forum's and customer feedback regarding Tiscali and Talk Talk, it would appear that we have a mixed bag of comments. Some people are saying "No Problems" and everything is fine, other people are making a point in saying "Total Rubbish" and wished they had never changed from their previous ISP. That is the dilemma that I am facing at the moment, do I stick with the devil I know, or do I move to the devil that I don't.First class customer service being the main criteria.

I do have the direct complaint email address to Charles Dunstone (Talk Talk) and Mary Turner (Tiscali), but going on the recent episodes from Tiscali, I wonder if Charles Dunstone is any different in giving a response to his present or potential customers. Mary Turner certainly isn't concerned, or though it seems in my case!.

Having spoken to our local Carphone Warehouse, and checked the web, Talk Talk are offering some of the best packages and good value for money deals. But I do not want to be in a situation of regretting a possible change of ISP,and perhaps burning my fingers more, even though Talk Talk are offering a let-out (with costs) within 30 days, if you do not like their service.

Talk Talk have informed me that they can provide a changeover by about the 12th December 2007, if I decide to take up their offer.At which point (after confirming and sending modem etc) they will then need a MAC code from Tiscali, which brings another question. How long doe's a MAC code last, and can replacements be obtained easily.

The other problem is changing email address notifications to the many contacts that I have. I would not like to be in a situation of hitting unforeseen problems. Any advice there, would be most welcome, as I have never had need to change ISP before.

hastelloy 11:29 18 Nov 2007

I got mine from Tiscali in 15 mins (Stuartli can getter that). Talk Talk can't provide their own service in all areas and are offering an AOL 18 month contract as an alternative.
If you want top service, the smaller ISPs seem to be a good bet. I'm with Zen on a monthly contract @ £17.99 (plus line rental to BT) and have had no problems since I joined them from Tiscali in March. Customer service is reputedly second to none. ADSL 24 is also supposed to be good.
See click here#
If I could get the Talk Talk deal that Stuartli is on, I would seriously consider trying it though.

hastelloy 11:32 18 Nov 2007

For email, you could try a web-based email and have messages to your ISP email forwarded. Unless you can keep your current email address, you're going to have to notify everybody of the change - you can do a block email to all contacts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?