Tiscali UK - miserable Broadband speed.

fredzepp 15:45 04 Jan 2008

Hi everyone

I am on an "up to 8Mbps" package with Tiscali UK.
Currently, my line rate on the modem software is showing as only 5.4 Mbps...but when I tested download speeds with Speedtest.net, I only achieved an average of 1.2 Mbps over five tests.

I don't know much about the technical aspects of this. Can anyone explain why the actual download speed is so much slower than the "Line Rate"?

If the download rate is only 1.2 Mpbs it makes the advertised speed something of a joke. I can't even watch video on the BBC iPlayer without it stalling continually.

Thanks in advance,

STREETWORK 16:42 04 Jan 2008

The advertised speed is never achievable and can be miss-leading. An average of 4mb on up to 8mb is faily good but it will depend upon several factors such as how far are you from the exchange, what is the line quality like, are you using an extension and extra sockets in the house...

you can ask BT to run a broadband check on your line and perhaps increase the gain to eliminate any noise, but tell them you experience line noise when using the phone or they will say its already maxed...

taff74 16:55 04 Jan 2008

I'm with Tiscali but I can only muster 512Kb and in real terms only half of that. Because I'm 4 miles away from the exchange my speed takes a hit apparently, as it doesn't necessarily run to my home in a straight line and gets routed around half of Devon so the actual line length may be greater! In this day and age of technology being improved faster and faster and phone bills going up, you'd think that BT and Tiscali would invest more in their customers! Maybe not.
Taff the slow one.

fredzepp 17:12 04 Jan 2008

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I do use an extension upstairs from the main BT socket. The thing is, when I started with Tiscali just over a year ago, I had a line rate of 7.4 Mbps and downloads were much, much faster.
Thanks for the BT advice.

fredzepp 17:17 04 Jan 2008

Thanks for your reponse.

It makes a mockery of the whole concept of broadband once speeds fall to that extent. It should be possible to watch Youtube videos without stalling, at the very least.

I was very happy with download speeds 12 months ago but the "real" download rate has nose-dived recently.

My aunt was with Orange until recently and she couldn't even connect in the evenings...so things can always be worse!

symphony 17:34 04 Jan 2008

I think the Govt is on about making illegal these deceptive 'ideal' broadband speeds. It certainly needs regulating. 5.4 is good.

fredzepp 18:34 04 Jan 2008

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I would be happy if the the speed were 5.4Mbps but the actual download rate is much slower.

I also hope there is a crackdown on this kind of exploitative advertising...there needs to be some kind of guarantee of minimum download rates below which consumers are entitled to refunds.

MAJ 19:59 04 Jan 2008

Tiscali are having awful problems with their 8Mbit service, you only have to read the forums to see. Here's one click here that I have been following as I was thinking of upgrading to that service (I'm on Tiscali 2Mbit at the moment). I couldn't believe how bad the service was, so I switched to TalkTalk's equivalent service and am 'going live' on Monday.

FungusBoggieman 20:14 04 Jan 2008

I think tiscali are having trouble all across their network at the moment my 2mb service is up amd down like a yoyo my speeds are from 321kb to 1.7mb and not very stable lots of line drop outs

fredzepp 21:13 04 Jan 2008

Thanks for your response.

I haven't looked through the forums yet so thanks for the link. Hope you find TalkTalk better!

fredzepp 21:16 04 Jan 2008

Thanks for the reply. Well, it's kind of good to hear that I am not alone with these problems. Hopefully people are starting to shout at Tiscali...no doubt it's the old problem of too many new customers taken on in too short a time.

Have to say, the connection I have, is at least stable with hardly any cut-offs.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Add Depth Of Field to a photo using Tilt Shift Blur in Photoshop

iPhone tips & tricks

Comment afficher des fichiers cach├ęs sur Mac ?