Is Tiscali a reliable ISP?

Cybermaxx 17:17 21 Aug 2005

I'm shopping around for a new ISP. At the moment I'm just using a free month's dial-up which I'll cancel anyway. My previous ISP was reliable (Pipex, btw) but the fee was a bit steep. Tiscali 2MB with a 15BG monthly allowance for £17.99 looks more reasonable, but are they reliable? I don't want to get involved with a bunch of two-bit rip-off merchants!

Here's the blurb

click here

Cybermaxx 17:19 21 Aug 2005

Hahaha, "15GB" not "15BG", but you probably already knew that....

Ancient Learner 18:15 21 Aug 2005

I think that " a bunch of two-bit rip-off merchants!" is just a teeny bit over the top, if I may say so!

They are unlikely to be as successful and large as they are if they were that.

I and many others here appear to be quite satisfied with their services.

Completealias 18:50 21 Aug 2005

I use that very service here, it has been reliable I do get dropped connections but I'm getting the jist that this happens with USB modems.

I have not had a day where I could not get on the net and when the connection has been dropped I'm back on within a min most of the time a lot less so no biggy.

Cybermaxx 20:08 22 Aug 2005

Cheers. Unfortunately, after reading the small (red) print on their site, I won't be able to sign up with them after all. Think "credit card"....

Stuartli 20:29 22 Aug 2005

My Tiscali account is paid by direct debit - new subscribers get the same choice of payment methods I had originally with the then WorldOnline nearly seven years ago.

Cybermaxx 20:37 22 Aug 2005

Hmmm, well this is what it says when I try to sign up:-

"For this package you need to connect through a BT phone line, be aged 18 or over and have a valid credit card (not a debit or Switch card)."

I'll give them a call tomorrow and take it from there.

Cybermaxx 20:38 22 Aug 2005

Hmmm, well this is what it says when I try to sign up:-

"For this package you need to connect through a BT phone line, be aged 18 or over and have a valid credit card (not a debit or Switch card)."

I'll give them a call tomorrow and take it from there.

Cybermaxx 20:41 22 Aug 2005

Pardon the double post! This damned dial-up nonsense is getting right up my nose!

Stuartli 21:12 22 Aug 2005

It does say that initially, but undertaking a DayTime Plus dialup subscription for a elderly friend recently he was able to elect to pay by direct debit.

Completealias 00:41 23 Aug 2005

I also pay by direct debit and only set my account up 2months ago

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?