Tiscali near collapse

Clapton is God 10:33 09 Mar 2009

Reports in the press this morning tell us that Tiscali are teetering on the brink of collapse on top of a debt mountain of £438m.

In anticipation of the worst, it may now be time for me to start shopping around for a new ISP!

Can members recommend an ISP who can offer a similar package to the one I have with Tiscali? For £19.99 a month I get:

Line rental paid
Up to 8MB broadband
Free phone calls 24/7 to 01 and 02 numbers
Free phone call to 10 international destinations (this is of minor interest to me)

MAJ 10:35 09 Mar 2009

TalkTalk

user8 10:40 09 Mar 2009

SkyBB

Stuartli 10:46 09 Mar 2009

As MAJ states, TalkTalk.

I'm just completing three years on its AnyTime International package (originally entitled International3) and get broadband (minimum 6.5Mb connection speeds), AnyTime UK calls and AnyTime International calls to 36 countires, plus line rental included in the £20.49 monthly cost (LLU service).

Stuartli 10:47 09 Mar 2009

It's even cheaper if you only need free evening and weekend UK calls...:-)

Clapton is God 10:54 09 Mar 2009

Must admit that TalkTalk had crossed through my mind - and I knew that Stuartli would suggest them (knowing what a 'lover' of Tiscali he is!).

Any more ideas?

gardener 11:27 09 Mar 2009

Virgin have some good offers going:

click here

I have an 8Mb broadband and a phone package with them for £15 a month. Not that I get anywhere near 8Mb, but I think that's because we live in the wilderness, not Virgin's fault.

Stuartli 11:41 09 Mar 2009

Well the only ISPs that a certain well known consumer magazine recommends total just two - O2 and ZEN...:-)

But TalkTalk certainly isn't in the "Don't touch with a barge pole" section, which includes some of the top names.

Stuartli 11:42 09 Mar 2009

Don't forget this website's advice:

click here

sunnystaines 12:56 09 Mar 2009

there are a lot of ISP's wanting to buy pipex but they could not agree. I am sure when pipex/tiscali hits the pain level they will sell out to the first offer.
I am with them too but paying £29 only diff all phone calls free 24/7.[not sure about calling abroad do not use that]

my deal goes back to bulldog days before pipex/tiscali bought them.

interzone55 12:57 09 Mar 2009

Anyone thought that maybe Tiscali are in this mess because the offers were too good.

An ADSL connection at an exchange costs around £7.50 a month wholesale.

Add in line rental and "free" calls and suddenly the package costs the supplier more than they're making in revenue.

Carphone Warehouse are having problems financing Talk Talk at the moment and are looking to spin it off into a separate company so they can restructure their own debt.

I think the days of super cheap bundled packages are numbered...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?