Tiny.com anyone recommend them?

AnthonyB 02:09 19 May 2004

Hello,

I'm on the lookout for a new pc, and wan't a fast one as we'll be using it for games amongst other things:). I have recently come across Tiny.com, and as a past customer of them (TINY without the "com")I wouldn't recommend them...infact, I would avoid them in plague-like fasion. monitor blew, sound never worked, graphics card acted up every day, all within 1 year (apart from monitor which blew just 18 days out of warrenteee (much to my annoyance, but delight of the chap from TINY (without the com:)

This was 1997 though, and i here they have "relaunced" themselves or something, any comments would bu much appreciated.

Ps: have £1300 to spend and want a gaming computer (by and large). oh, and INTEL V AMD yea I know:), but AMD come with faster chips now I believe.

computernerdiamnot 08:57 19 May 2004

Well tiny.com is not of the old but relaunched as a new company with Time behind the wheel, I must say the specs of some machines is so impressive but at what cost. You also have to add £39 for del and £60 for the restore disks also you have to get rid of that annoying supanet if you want to be able to use an exsisting isp.

byfordr 09:17 19 May 2004

A quick search on Tiny or Time should reveal all :-(

On a more positive note they have re-established a forum presence. Time will tell if they are as good as Mesh's Davey.

R

Pearly Gates |X|X| 10:01 19 May 2004

Time will tprobably tell you that they are better than Davey @ Mesh.

byfordr 10:04 19 May 2004

£1300 should get you a fair bit. I would suggest a trawl through the following

click here click here click here I also read that HP are doing a new range of Gaming pcs built to order using the coolermaster wave case.

R

pj123 20:11 19 May 2004

You could also check out here click here

ch0pper 20:49 19 May 2004

that Tiny.com want to charge £60 for restore discs.

After all, you buy the licence to use the OS, so the OS CD, or restore CD at worst, should come as a matter of course.

Kalitechnis 21:12 19 May 2004

On the phone yesterday I was told it was £20 for the restore disk-acceptable I would say

K

computernerdiamnot 21:49 19 May 2004

If you look in the small print of the advertisment you will see the cost. Kalitechnis they have given you a deal or did you quibble about the price.

mezzanine 14:10 20 May 2004

kick off enough and you get it free! guarenteed

AnthonyB 14:51 20 May 2004

Well, I dealt with them before, and i was sent a load of "restore" disks (sound, gfx card) instructing me how to correct the display if it went wrong. That's ok, but it was almost a daily affiar, especially the gfx card (s3 virge 4 megs - top notch in it's day:) - and still got it in my top drawer for antiques road show in 2012. (or should that be now?)

I have had a look at there web site, and notice, that even on there highend machines, they shove micro this, micro that in (sfx mobo i think). I'll keep my eyes open, thanks all for replies

Anthony

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?