Tiny Computers give tiny value

david-338461 20:04 20 Sep 2004

I visited my local "Computer Store", who retail Time and Tiny PCs as i was interested in a Tiny Mediabook notebook.

I was told the notebook comes with Windows XP, but no dissks, not even a recovery disk. The salesman said Microsoft had brought proceedings against Tiny for giving away the disks (?!) and that they could now only pass them on if the customer paid for them. He also said most PC companies now adopted this approach. (except Dell or Compaq or half a dozen of the other vendors I contacted, who at least supply a recovery CD, if not a full CD. Of course, I could purchase a recovery CD for £99 (wow bargain - a full copy of Xp is only ~£150). Or, of course I could sign up for the £8.99 per month support plan, which gives me a recovery CD. ( Ah, do things become clearer?).

I asked what support I would get (without the plan) if the operating system went wrong during the warrenty period. He said none from Tiny as they only support hardware. I would have to go to Microsoft. Now as far as I am aware, M/S do not support OEM copies of Windows. His only repsponse to that was that M/S did offer support when XP first came out. True, but only because of all the bugs and compatibility problems.

I told him to stick his PC and have now bought a Compaq, which is almost certainly better built and has CDs and manuals.

My advice, don't touch Tiny with a barge pole. If they behave like this up front, what sort of service are they going to give down the line?

Yalcrab 14:23 14 Jan 2005

Tiny Computers fobbed me off with excuses after 4 phonecalls and 46 days of waiting for delivery of one of their Mediabooks, and still they refused to admit they were out of stock.

Stuartli 14:34 14 Jan 2005

You want a cheap product and you get one - such companies will therefore have to earn revenue from other means.

If you buy a Mesh, Dell etc you get everything required, even if it does cost more for one of their quality systems.

There's owt for nowt as they say in Yorkshire.

Total Care Support 17:28 14 Jan 2005

Yalcrab,

If you could contact me with your account details, order number, and your invoice postcode I can look into this on your behalf, their have been a slight extension to the lead times with the christmas rush but it should not have effected your order that greatly.

Please can you also include your forum Id.

Best regards

Daniel Warren
Granville Technology.
[email protected]

GANDALF <|:-)> 09:32 17 Jan 2005

'If they can't get basic grammar right, what hope for their PCs?'...this is not s English Usage forum and you ought to be thankful that they replied very speedily......many do not.

Oh, and if you want to talk about English usage your use of split past participles is incorrect. /eyes raise

G

Stuartli 16:35 17 Jan 2005

Come, come. At least Tiny has offered a response in quick time.

There used to be a Time equivalent at one time (no pun intended) on the forum.

Cheaper than the support lines I would suggest...:-)

Forum Editor 17:19 17 Jan 2005

like the ones I've just deleted I'll kill the whole thread.

If you want help from us here you'll need to grow up and behave. I would normally delete any thread which exhorts other forum membersa not to touch a company "with a barge pole", but as Tiny have responded already I'm going to let it run - provided we see no more playground antics.

foxymel1uk 17:41 17 Jan 2005

I purchased a tiny computer last year, it arrived 4 weeks late and was faulty on arrival, it coast me over £30 pounds in phone bills to get it put right, tiny would not reimburse the bill...........NEVER AGAIN!!!!!1

stalion 22:11 17 Jan 2005

My last two computers have been purchased direct from Time have both been faultless delivered on Time and excellent value for money

Bleep 22:14 17 Jan 2005

Got my mother a PC from the Computer Shop, great price never one problem and she loves it.

huzzar 15:33 19 Jan 2005

Nothing wrong with Tiny or Time, great machines first class after sales service. My last 2 machines have been from Tiny and Time and I will go back to them next time too.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des Légendes en ligne ?