Time Computers - what do you think?

Ben Camm-Jones 11:46 27 Jan 2006

Hello folks,

As you may have heard, the Time Computers brand is being revived - this time in under the name TimeUK.com.

We'd like to know what you think about this - did it affect you when Time shut up shop in July 2005? Do you have a faithful Time PC or laptop at home? Would you buy a Time branded PC, laptop or TV product again?

Your comments could be used in a news piece for the next issue of PC Advisor, so if you don't wish to be quoted by your real name, please state clearly in your posting.

We look forward to reading your comments.

Ben Camm-Jones
News Editor

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:54 27 Jan 2006

I seem to rember that Rolls Royce Aero was effectively bust in the 70s and now they are going great guns. I do not see any problem and in theory the company should be better than most as

a) harsh lessons will have been learned and the general public has long memories.

b) they will have to be much better than the competition as they will be branded as a phoenix company so will need to 'pull their collective fingers out'.

c) their service and quality will be watched like hawks by many so they will have to get it right to pacify everyone.

d) It is nothing new for bankrupt companies to restart.

I fell that people should wait until the company lifts off before speculating at random.

G

Totally-braindead 12:19 27 Jan 2006

I personally wouldn't touch them with a bargepole. I don't know if they are just starting another company with the name Time or if the are using any of the assets of the original company. The thing about companies taking over the name and brand of another is that you've lost any assurances you might have felt about them being there when you need them. I mean if the business has already folded there is a good chance it will do so again and if it does any guarantee you have goes with them.
I only have one friend who has a Time PC and its been good for him, hes had it about 4 years I suppose, no real problems with it and although it is rather old now it still runs on quite happily. I think if I asked him, he would consider another Time PC as the one he has now has worked well. Me however, would I buy a Time PC?

NO WAY.

Belatucadrus 12:27 27 Jan 2006

I've never owned a Time or Tiny PC and have no axe to grind one way or another, but in this case I'd wait and see what the marketing policy of the new company is. If they intend to butt heads with Dell in the volume stakes again, I hold out no great hopes for company longevity.

Whaty 13:23 27 Jan 2006

I say we should wait and see what they have to offer.

Go through the pages of this forum and you will find stories of poor service and/or poor components and/or shoddy build provided by even the 'reputable' and long established companies.

In 1995 I bought a computer from MJM (part of Time), it was a P75, 850Mb hard drive, 4Mb RAM, up to 2Mb shared O/B graphics and a 2xCD... wow.!That machine still runs today.!

MESH has received a lot of critism recently but I've had two machines from them and I've been more than happy with both the quality and the back up service (one machine had a minor problem on delivery resolved via tech support very quickly).

Would I concider buying a computer from 'TimeUK.com'? I'll have to wait and see what they have to offer..

Would I automatically dismiss them because of what's happend in the past? No.

961 13:30 27 Jan 2006

I seem to remember that when Tiny went bust the assets were bought by Time

When Time went bust the assets were bought by Watford (Savastore) who also, you may remember bought the assets of Carrera the second time that went bust

TimeUK seems to be a resurrection apart from that

In all these cases it is the suppliers and the customers who lose out because, of course, the debts are written off and that usually includes the warranties unless these have been backed by insurance, which they rarely are

One thing that is quite apparent if you read the computer press and indeed the threads on this forum is the poor standard of service that the new company invariably offers

I cannot see any logical reason to buy from such a company when, for very little more, you can go to a company who will see you right if things go pear shaped

If you trawl around the internet things are much more competitive these days and you can find a good product at a good price even from the likes of John Lewis who were once regarded as expensive but certainly have service second to none

jack 14:23 27 Jan 2006

I express my thoughts in 'Speakers'
It all hinges on who show it will be ,another crew having purchased ther rights or...........

I Note to-days Register comments that the former directors of Granville Technologies[Tiny/Computer Shop/Time] have failed to comply with the insolvency rules by not submitting documents to the administrators.
Meanwhile did I not read that Time are coming back into the fray with selling large panel TV, Computers etc?

Does ducking and diving by dodgy geezers comes to mind/

Stuartli 14:34 27 Jan 2006

>>Meanwhile did I not read that Time are coming back into the fray with selling large panel TV, Computers etc?>>

That went on for quite a while a year or so back but, IIRC, under the Tiny name.

dmc727 14:41 27 Jan 2006

“Time UK Factory opens up shop in mid- to late February.” : click here

Sales director Bill Slater said: "Our aim is to offer high specification and quality products at direct prices. The emphasis will be on offering better value and support than our main competitors, not purely on having the lowest prices."

On this evidence they will be competing with the likes of Ebuyer, Amazon, Novatech and a few others who have established a good track record. You would need a big incentive to choose Time UK as your first port of call – the jury is out.

Forum Editor 16:05 27 Jan 2006

about the way that some people react to stories like this.

If you think about it for more than ten seconds you'll realise that it's quite impossible to make any kind of informed judgment about a company which hasn't even started trading yet, based on what happened to a previous company - which means that many responses will simply be based on prejudice.

As is often the case, GANDALF <|:-)> has summed things up perfectly. It would be far better to wait to see what happens, let the company get up and running, evaluate its performance, and then make comments based on fact, rather than speculation.

jack 17:27 27 Jan 2006

Gandalf assessment is a correct one, but I posed the question 'What will 'Time' be?
A New enterprise completely with new people using
the purchased rights
Or the previous guys having another go?
In which case it is wise to be wary
Having run a business and had fingers burned- I am neturally cynical.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?