Thoughts on AMD Athlon64 3800+

Mr Mistoffelees 17:08 06 Nov 2005

Anyone got one of these?

If so, what do you think of it?

What motherboard are you running it on?

Finally, would you recommend it?

Maturin 17:11 06 Nov 2005

I have Athlon 64 3000+ and it is a darn sight better than the P4 2.8 Ghz it replaced.

PaulB2005 17:12 06 Nov 2005

The processor is only a small part to consider when building or buying a PC.

It's a bit like choosing a car because the engine is great. No good if the suspension, tyres,steering and brakes are rubbish.

I have an AMD 64 3200+ and it's great.

Assuming the 3800 is also a 939 socket processor then you can't go wrong with the Asus A8N-SLi boards. Rock solid and very stable esp with a good set of RAM.

Better to ask us of the CPU, processor and RAM combo you intend using.

Also it depends what you are using the PC for. Porsches and Ferrari's are excellent cars but overkill for popping to the shops for a pint of milk and loaf.

TOPCAT® 17:16 06 Nov 2005

Here's a review which gives it a very good write-up. TC.

click here

Mr Mistoffelees 18:07 06 Nov 2005

I have no interest in SLi and will not be buying a motherboard that supports it. One graphics card is enough! I intend to buy a motherboard that uses an nForce4 chipset, mainly to avoid audio problems with Via chipsets and and Creative SoundBlaster sound cards, I am not replacing my soundcard. The ram will be the 2x512MB Crucial DDR400 ram I am already using, subject to compatibility.

I have already read through the numerous benchmarks (thank-you anyway TOPCAT®) at Toms Hardware and the Athlon64 3800+ offers the best price/performance (they can be had for under £200) balance within my budget which also has to include a new graphics card and monitor.

Finally I asked for user feedback, not for advice that I should buy something slower, I don't want something slower. This processor is to compliment an ATI Radeon X800XL when playing recent, and soon upcoming, motor racing games and is to produce a very fast system together with the two Western Digital Raptors I run in a RAID 0 configuration.

Thank-you for your responces so far.

PaulB2005 18:26 06 Nov 2005

SLi - i recommended the board because it is good, not because it has SLi. I has this board and don't use SLi either. Maybe in the future but it's a bit maybe. It has an nForce4 chipset and uses DDR and will allow the use of your old RAM in Dual Chanel.

I don't think anyone advised that you buy anything slower. Please tell me if i am wrong though. The 3800 processor is just a faster version of the processor others have here, and that's it - a little bit faster. Nothing much else to compare it on. No extra features or functions. The advise given was because we have effectively the same chip you wish to buy but a bit slower. The reason i asked what you wanted to use it for was because the other day someone was asking about buying a £500 FX-57 processor to "do a bit or surfing and write a few documents"! Total overkill.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:00 06 Nov 2005

I take your second point and remember that previous thread.

A downside of an SLi board, which I want to avoid, is that it restricts the number of other pci slots on the board, usually to three. Those without SLi often have one or two more. Also I would be paying for a feature I know I will not need. Even now one Geforce 7800GTX can outperform two Geforce 6800 Ultras in some games, according to reviews I have read.

Mr Mistoffelees 20:02 06 Nov 2005

My policy when upgrading has always been to buy the best my budget allows.

TOPCAT® 21:28 06 Nov 2005

I'm now running a AMD64 X2 4800+ on a Asus A8N-E socket 939 mobo, along with the nVidia 7800GTX. Very smooth and ultra fast! There is, I believe, a deluxe version of this great mobo which gives additional firewire support - I have a card for this in my board.

OK, so I've gone for what is considered at the moment to be about the best and fastest combination, apart from the FX57 way, but, as this computer has to last me a long, long time, I went dual-core to be ready for it to give its full potential when new software will allow.

I am very pleased at the performance I am getting right now and am glad I waited - and saved! - for this incredible machine. I sincerely hope your eventual choice gives you as much pleasure as does mine. :o))TC.

Trackrat 23:38 06 Nov 2005

I am running a 3500 on an Abit AX8 board and it is superb and the board only cost £68.00.

bruno 15:21 08 Nov 2005

I am running the 3500 with the Asus A8N-E socket 939 mobo, and I am very pleased with it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?