Thinking about purchasing laptop

Ade_1 17:23 25 Nov 2008

My laptop has broken and I'd rather just purchase a new one. It can be fixed but it's getting slow and could really do changing. It's about five years old now.

May sound like a stupid question to ask, but I am under the impression that Windows 7 may be on the cards for the last quarter of 2009. Normally I don't like jumping in and getting a new OS, I have only just got Vista of a couple of months ago on a new desktop that I purchase, although there wasn't another option.

I am actually a student and will be going to University in September of next year and wondered if it would be worth waiting to get a laptop with Windows 7 or stick with a Vista one and get it sooner. Ideally I would get one as soon as but if it's worth waiting then I would (the desktop would have to suffice). I do worry, though as Windows 7 would be brand new and no doubt susceptible to bugs and glitches etc which we saw with Vista. Although in truth I haven't kept up to date with Windows 7, and don't know a huge amount about it...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Ade_1

Forum Editor 18:15 25 Nov 2008

is to forget about Windows 7 for the time being, and go ahead with a new Vista machine.

Windows 7 may well appear at the end of 2009, but it may not, and I certainly wouldn't delay a purchasing decision on the basis of that kind of uncertainty.

Ade_1 18:17 25 Nov 2008

I had wondered about that, especially considering how it went with the Vista release. I don't know when the bets time would be to purchase one...

Either before Christmas when retailers and manufacturers are throwing themselves at your or afterwards when they're have a 'sale' shall we say.

Forum Editor 18:28 25 Nov 2008

I would wait until after Christmas. The way things are looking at the moment you may pick up a bargain in January. Either way, the price isn't going to rise, so you have nothing to lose by waiting.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

Game of Thrones GIFs: how Eran Mendel is creating hilarious weekly GIFs based on each episode's…

How to increase storage on iPhone

Nokia 8 : rumeurs & soirée de lancement