Think I need a new router. Advice please!

Plastic Dracula 17:51 25 Jan 2014

I think I need to replace my old Belkin G wireless router. Keeps losing connection, I probably have to reboot it at least every other day. Phone line has been checked and Plusnet say its not them so Im assuming its the router.

Where do I start?! Firstly Im not sure if Im on ADSL 1 or ADSL 2, Ive tried to find out but with no success. Any advice on how to do this? What would be a good router to go for? I live in a small flat, we have a laptop, an iMac, 2 iPads and 2 Android smartphones so I need something that would be able to connect to all of them in addition to our Sky+ on demand thingy.

Thanks in advance :-)

spuds 18:43 25 Jan 2014

I have used the same router for a number if years now, so best for someone else to provide advice there!.

To find out about what exchange and service you have, and what that provides, try click here

rdave13 19:46 25 Jan 2014

I'm with PlusNet and use this router, TP-LINK 300mbps Wireless ADSL2+ Modem Router (TD-W8960N), 4-port. Not bad for forty squids. We have two xboxs, one laptop and a desktop linked at the same time. You can also google how to connect to it manually. In my humble opinion a great modem/router. Something to check out.

rdave13 19:51 25 Jan 2014

Before you take your ISP's reply as gospel, try a quiet line test if your line is BT, Nice instructions Zen.

If quiet then time to replace the router I think.

rdave13 19:53 25 Jan 2014

Great moniker though.. plastic Dracula :)

Plastic Dracula 20:18 25 Jan 2014

Ok cheers for that, I'll give the quiet line test a go. We have had BT out a couple of times and they did say the line was ok on their last visit a few months back

As for my moniker... click here

rdave13 20:28 25 Jan 2014

Enjoyed it. Bass a bit low but excellent never the less.

Secret-Squirrel 09:32 26 Jan 2014

Drac, I can also recommend that TP-link. It's an excellent performer and I've installed quite a few over the last two years and everyone has been very happy with them. I also used one myself before I upgraded to fibre. It will be compatible with your PlusNet connection.

Regarding your disconnections, make sure you've got a working broadband filter connected to every device that connects to the phone line. If you already have then a new router should solve your problem.

BT 11:30 26 Jan 2014

I also used a TP Link Cable router before Virgin gave me a Superhub 2. I still think it was better - 450mbs Dual band (2.4GHz/5.0GHz)- and might even go back to it, just using the Superhub as a Modem - AND it cost less than £20.

Secret-Squirrel 12:51 26 Jan 2014

BT, to make things clear for the OP, a cable router won't work with his connection type - he needs an ADSL modem/router like the one in rdave's link.

Plastic Dracula 17:04 26 Jan 2014

Thanks for all the replies. I will try the quiet line test tomorrow when I get a minute. Im pretty sure all my ADSL filters are ok, replaced them a year or so ago when I replaced all the phone wiring in my flat. I might well invest in the router that you have suggested. Thanks :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?