Is there better wipe software than Paragon 10?

Tiny Malone 09:22 19 Jun 2010

We have finally decided to upgrade from our steam powered desktop to a new laptop but as both of us use the PC for work there is data on the drive we need to remove prior to disposing of the computer.
We are looking for a program to completely scrub the hard disk and have seen Paragon Disk Wiper 10 but was wondering if anyone has any other recommendations?

ronalddonald 11:24 19 Jun 2010

i use Acronis and it wipe my drives quickly and destroys all the data

tullie 11:30 19 Jun 2010

Why not just use your windowsw cd,reformat and reinstall windows.

bremner 11:46 19 Jun 2010

That will not wipe the data.

tullie 12:39 19 Jun 2010

Are you saying that it leaves easily accesable data?

bremner 13:01 19 Jun 2010

Easily accessable via any of the multitude of free recovery programs.

Taff™ 00:25 20 Jun 2010

When you say "disposing of the computer" it depends what you mean. If you want to give it away it depends to whom as to the risks involved and what you need to do to reduce the chances of someone even bothering to attempt to retrieve previous data on the hard disk.

For example, if you donate the machine to a friend or relation would they know how to, or have the inclination to recover data and would it mean anything to them if they did? If you just take the computer to a recycling facility where might it end up - At a Charity or abroad? In which case it`s a bigger risk.

If you don`t want to pass on the computer as a working computer you have two choices. Remove the hard drive and destroy it. (Literally, smash it to bits with a hammer.) Or use a a software tool as suggested. Personally I would recommend DBAN click here You can choose the number of rewriting "passes" etc.

If you do want to pass the computer in a working condition, the Paragon Software will do the job. Run it 3 times and then restore the computer to factory settings using the restore partition or disks supplied with the machine.

Kevscar1 06:58 20 Jun 2010

15 day trial of cyberscrub. You can set it to wipe so that nothing can be recovered. Very efficent when I set it to wipe slack and at top level cleared over 200GB of odds and ends. Be warned at that level it is slow.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?