is there anywhere you can get a nice pc then?

jcks007 22:07 09 Aug 2008

Pc has blown up, going to get a new one.

I've been online found companies like Mesh, cube247, savastore and of course dell. Came on this site to just check out others experiences of those guys and a quick search shows me that everyone has a problem with all of these companies, mainly after sales which for me is the most importnat thing becuase i don't really know what i'm doing.

So where can you buy a pc from that is affordable and not going to be a hassle? i don't mind things breaking down but i need to know that someone will be able to come and sort it out either over the phone or at the house.

tullie 23:37 09 Aug 2008

Try Novatech.

Dragon_Heart 23:52 09 Aug 2008

Got my last desktop from ALDI.

Why ? ....... because it was a MEDION with a THREE year on site cover !

Superbly spec'd PC, plenty of extra ports etc.
Just log into ALDI site and get on their newsletter list. Within a couple of months they will have a PC on offer at, to my mind, a good price. Their current model ( available 14th August ) is a Medion Akoya MD96850 Widescreen Notebook for £450.

Intel Pentium Dual-Core processor T2390

250GB hard disk

Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100

3GB RAM

15.4" TFT WXGA Widescreen Display

8× Multi-Standard DVD/CD Writer with DVD-RAM and Dual-Layer support.

High Speed Wireless LAN 802.11n Draft

eSATA connection
High performance 9 cell battery providing extra long battery life – up to 4½ hours

Ports
1× Multi-cardreader (SD, MMC, MS & MS PRO)
3× USB 2.0
1× Express Card Slot 54
1× eSATA/USB 2.0
1× VGA out
1× TV out
1× RJ-45 LAN
1× RJ-11 modem
1× microphone
1× Line in
1× Line out
1× 6 channel Audio out (analogue + S/P-DIF)

Software Package (OEM Versions)
Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium (incl. SP1)
Microsoft® Office Trial (60 days test version)
LIFE Software Package (WindDVD 8, Media One, PaintShop Pro, DVD MovieFactory 5.5)
Microsoft® Works 9.0
Nero Burning ROM 8 Essentials incl. Nero Recode S2
Ulead PhotoImpact 12 SE
BullGuard Internet Security (incl. 90 days internet update)

36 month manufacturer's warranty. Medion offer a telephone support hotline charged at National Rates & a return to manufacturer service for repair.

You'll have to pay cash or debit card but ......

GET THERE VERY EARLY ..... THEY OPEN AT 9 I THINK SO BE IN Q FOR 8.30

wee eddie 07:59 10 Aug 2008

You only hear about the ones with problems.

Many of these companies are making 1000s, 10s of 1000s, or even 100s of 1000s each year. There's no denying that problems occur within every Company and most sort them out without hesitation.

However a few go to the wire. Frequently because insufficient information or incorrect contact details are inadvertently sent. There are others who expect immediate (within hours)attention from a Help Department which will usually be understaffed and mildly harassed.

Almost all customers of the companies you and others have mentioned, receive working PCs on time and to spec.

Armchair 10:45 10 Aug 2008

jcks, I like the look of this one that's in the new Argos catalogue

click here

£450 for a reasonably good gaming PC (sans monitor) that I could go out now and buy, and be back home with it in half an hour................

jakimo 12:09 10 Aug 2008

"EVERYONE has a problem with these companies"!

thats a sweeping and untrue statement,suggesting that the companies you mention only supply problem computers,you have probably read a handful of complains,about the multi thousands of reliable systems these firms send out every year.

I would buy from any one of of the companies you mention,including Medion with confidence.

mrwoowoo 00:32 11 Aug 2008

Novatech.
Superb after sales service,time and time again.

Rob_08 01:33 11 Aug 2008

Novatech. They actually care about their customers and nice pc's to.

jcks007 10:38 11 Aug 2008

thanks novatech is the place i had stumbled on yesteday and that was where i was going to go.

JAKIMO

i have not read a hand full of reviews, i have read hundreds, and if you have nothing else to go on but other peoples reviews then why would i assume the companies are any good?

Covergirl 12:19 11 Aug 2008

jcks007

You have "read hundreds" of instances of "problems" from "all these companies".

The trouble is, you haven't read the hundreds of THOUSANDS of unwritten letters of praise along the lines of "Dear Dell etc, just thought I'd write to you because my computer arrived on time, set it up in 3 minutes and it all worked perfectly first time and has done since . . .".

You only ever read about the complaints which will be a very small percentage of the success stories, see jakimos post.

Aldi deal sounds good. You can pay an arm and a leg for three years cover from Comet, Currys et al.

Get yourself into a shop, stop worrying and buy something. I've bought a both a desktop and a laptop within the last 9 months from Currys and Comet and there have been no problems at all so far.

Ashrein 15:44 11 Aug 2008

I bought my PC from Cougar-Extreme in April this year and have nothing but praise for them, as have many other forum members, if you look through the threads on this site.
Would definitely recommend them.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

AMD Ryzen news - release date, UK price, features and specifications

The 12 best apps for drawing and painting on your iPad

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment faire des captures d’écran sous Windows 10 ?