Thanks for nothing, TalkTalk

Clapton is God 15:49 15 Jan 2011

I received an e-mail from TalkTalk the other day telling me that as a "loyal customer" I was getting a free upgrade from their 8 meg service to their 24 meg service.

Thank you very much, I thought.

I subsequently did several speed checks only to find that I was still chugging along at around 6.5 meg as before.

So I then checked at the SamKnows website click here only to find that the maximum I can get on ADSL2+ in my area is 7 meg.

Thanks for nothing, TalkTalk!!

peugeot man 16:14 15 Jan 2011

Virtually impossible to know what speeds will be until actually connected.

I am with Sky up to 20mb. Samknows says I should get approx 8mb.

I actually get in excess of 11mb. In my house we have 1 PC, 2 laptops, Wii and PS3 frequently all on line at the same time. I get a consistent stable connection.

click here

john bunyan 16:21 15 Jan 2011

I believe that to get more than about 7 Mbps (Like you I get 6.5 with a Talk Talk subsidiary) either the local exchange has to be ADSL2 enabled (a roll out programme is ongoing) or the ISP has to have a LLU arrangement with the local exchange. I think if I switched to O2 they have a LLU that allows this, but now I am regularly getting above 6Mbps I am waiting for developments, coupled with my reluctance to sign up for 12 - 18 months or more. I am on a one month rolling contract and I believe only Zen offers this, so I am not changing yet.

Clapton is God 16:37 15 Jan 2011

And therein is the issue!

My exchange is ADSL2 enabled.

My ISP (Tiscali to be precise) is LLU at that exchange.

SamKnows tells me that I'm only 1.25 km from the exchange

BJN 16:39 15 Jan 2011

o2 broadband offer you a choice of either a 12 month or 1 month contract. The 12 month contract is free connection and the one month contract requires a connection fee of around £30. Both contracts monthly fees are th same and you can get a monthly reduction of £5.00 per month if you register a o2 mobile number tom your account.

john bunyan 16:46 15 Jan 2011

Is the 1 month contract available for broadband only? - I want to keep BT as line supplier for several reasons.Thanks for info.

amonra 20:45 15 Jan 2011

Newnet do a 1 month contract, BB only, very reliable.

RobCharles1981 22:28 15 Jan 2011

So Do Titan ADSL very reliable and 1 month contract for £20 a month 100gig of usage allowance!

john bunyan 22:58 15 Jan 2011

According to Newnet the min contract is 12 months,and a limit of 10gig on premium rare

click here

KremmenUK 09:20 16 Jan 2011

With TalkTalk make sure they are not charging more for what they perceive is a faster service.

jack O'lantern 10:44 16 Jan 2011

That is 'Contention Ratio'
That as I understand it - how many subscribers are connected to a particular LLU in a given area.
A 'High' ratio means that many users are connected and as the LLU device deals in traffic in 'packets' whizzing up and down the connections - individual 'speeds' will diminish- whilst the 'nominal speed may be '8mps' say actual overall will go down.
To be sure check your speed during the small hours when traffic is light.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?