Testing USB Flash Drive Specification

Fishbox 09:38 19 Aug 2008

Is there a way to check if the performance of a Flash Drive actually matches the stated specification?
For example,can I test the capacity and speed and also make sure my data isn't being corrupted?

GRIDD 10:04 19 Aug 2008

Capacity? right click in my computer.

Speed? It tells you when you copy something, beyond that no. For Vista Speedboost Vista will self determine if the drive is capable. If the MFR quotes it is then Vista will come back a a positive.

Data Corrupted? If you copy a file to the pen and it can be read then no corruption is there?

As for copies of copies will there used to be some degradation (that's something I was taught years ago) but I'm sure it's not the case now.

Fishbox 21:14 19 Aug 2008

Thanks GRIDD.
A Google search came up with a free download of "USB Flash Drive Tester 1.7" from click here
The blurb says it's useful for testing any removable media for fake sizes and bad or unstable sectors.Anyone tried it?
(I've read feedback on a well-known auction site about some 8Gb flash drives from the Far East which allegedly are "hacked" and are only 2Gb or less.I was wondering how these were tested,hence my original post.)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?