Tesco pulling plug on VoIP

dms_05 17:08 25 Mar 2010

I've just had an email from Tesco saying they are abandoning their Tesco Internet Phone venture effective 27 April 2010.

Quote:

We are writing to let you know that from 27th April 2010, we will no
longer be providing Tesco internet phone and Talk Wi-fi services. This
is due to a number of factors that impact the service we provide to
you, so we have decided to discontinue this offering.

From this date your Tesco internet phone account will be closed and
the service will not be available. You will no longer be able to
access your online account or be able to make calls using your Tesco
internet phone.

Woolwell 18:07 25 Mar 2010

Are you sure that this is not a spoof e-mail as there is nothing about this on their website?

dms_05 21:57 25 Mar 2010

Seemed genuine. It included my name, Tesco IP number and my account contact email address.

peugeot man 06:57 26 Mar 2010

click here
Confirms closure of this service

morddwyd 08:43 26 Mar 2010

Obviously not enough money in it for them!

Woolwell 11:49 26 Mar 2010

That was added after I looked. Odd to send out e-mails and not simultaneously update the website.

Paul-1379466 16:42 26 Mar 2010

You know what to do...

dms_05 10:48 27 Mar 2010

The Tesco service was supported by the Australian VOIP supplier Freshtel. Freshtel attempted to use the Tesco business to gain a foothold in the UK VOIP market but this was unsuccessful and Freshtel decided to abandon the UK market during April 2010. This left Tesco without a partner in the project and they obviously decided to cut their losses and withdraw the Tesco IP product.

erkmatrix 09:27 29 Mar 2010

Yeah I got one too, seems its true, I'm gutted as I've spent money on one of their Tesco internet phones, it's gonna be useless now I guess.

Paul-1379466 10:12 29 Mar 2010

junipaire, try returning it to Tesco & explain it's now useless, if you go about it the right way you might get a refund or a voucher.

dms_05 10:47 29 Mar 2010

Tesco say if you bought any Tesco Internet Phone this year (actually since 27/12/09) then you can return it to Tesco for a refund BUT you will need proof of purchase.

Any balance on your account will be refunded after the service closes (by cheque) if you contact TIP and tell them your TIP number and name/address.

However you should have a strong case to return a phone as 'not fit for purpose' if it's under a year old.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache