Temp Graphic Card

FeeN 21:10 28 Apr 2007

Hi all.

I discoverd this morning that my AGP Radeon 9800pro's fan stopped working, resulting in one toasted chip :(

Im planning on building a new PC at the end of the year once the Direct X10 and Quad processors have calmed down in price. So i need a temp graphic card until then.

I know the net is usually cheaper but im heading to my local retail park tommorow (PC World, Maplin etc). Ive been looking around the net and seeing Radeon 1500 / 1600's for around £70. Just in case i cant find such a card, i was wondering what the Nvidia equivalent is as ive never had a Nvidia card or payed much attention to the technology.

Thanks in advance

Mr Beeline 22:08 28 Apr 2007

Hi

You could go for an Nvidia 7600GT (EG. click here ). I'd prefer that myself to an ATI X1650 myself. Just personal choice.

Good luck.

Totally-braindead 23:20 28 Apr 2007

The 7600 GS which is slower than the GT is still a better card than you have with the 9800 Pro. And its cheaper.
Have a look here to give you some idea of equivalents click here

FeeN 11:57 29 Apr 2007

Thanks all, great help

Armchair 12:10 29 Apr 2007

If it's only going to have to last for six months or whatever, and I don't know the rest of your spec., I would say go for the cheapest AGP 7600GS you can find. Or even the cheapest 6600GT you can find! No point spending much, is there?

Overclockers.co.uk have a clearance section into which new stuff gets added most Fridays. recently they've had AGP 6800Gts going for £44 delivered, and AGP 7600Gts for £67. Not much in there atm

click here

apart from a solitary 7600GS. I don't know about PC WOrld, but Maplins GPUs always seem to be A) expensive, and B) mostly museum pieces, lol.

Armchair 20:48 04 May 2007

Yo, AGP 6800 GT, £62 delivered. Better than a 7600 GS.

click here

I have exactly the same card (Point of View) in my PC, except mine cost £102 delivered, thirteen months ago.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?