Telewest Blueyonder Email dead!!

concretepigsy 17:05 10 May 2003

Email from above has been dead for 4 days now, is there a legal argument over losing emails
etc

just wondering

thanks

the pig

VoG™ 17:34 10 May 2003

I agree it's a pain but not entirely Blueyonder's fault click here

concretepigsy 17:37 10 May 2003

yeah been there done that

cheers

GANDALF <|:-)> 17:52 10 May 2003

'is there a legal argument over losing emails'...no, an ISP only serves as a backbone to transport emails they are not responsible for safe delivery. In any case any mails that are held up are usually stored for later delivery.

Telewest are experiencing huge debt and turnover problems and are shedding staff like scurf so if there is a problem on their side then I would not hold your breath. As a Company I'll give them 6 months tops ;-))))

G

Brian-336451 17:54 10 May 2003

Spoke to them a couple of hours ago. Apparently they got mail-bombed and have been trying to sort out the mess eversince.

There is a colossal backlog not helped (by people like me) sending themselves emails trying to check out the system.

I was assured that no data has been lost and that email SENDING is unaffected.

All in all the chap I spoke to was very helpful and knowledgable.

So as far as I'm concerned - Well Done Telewest in very trying conditions.

Yes its inconvenient, just about the same as some yob running a key down your car just because he wants to.

Lets blame the mail-bombers NOT the victims (including us). They probably think they are SO clever, shame that talent isn't used constructively.

Sermon over, jumping off the soapbox, re-joining the human race.

Regards to all!

Brian (cor its windy on Buck House!)

concretepigsy 18:03 10 May 2003

it would just seem slightly obvious to me that a back up system could have been installed

but ho hum

Joe McG 20:24 10 May 2003

I've been unable to access the pop3 server since late last night, both with mailwasher and OE.

Had a look at the information about this by blueyonder, and it's just a matter of waiting.

Bit of a pain though.

fitfella29 22:42 10 May 2003

its up and running now as of 10pm sat 10th

ZnO 22:51 10 May 2003

well done Blueyonder !!

GANDALF <|:-)> 00:13 11 May 2003

'it would just seem slightly obvious to me that a back up system could have been installed'...they have had a dictionary attack which would have disabled any backup as the attack is at server source. Backup only works if the server is not corrupted. They have also suffered from server closedown which would seem to be an unrelated fault as well. Unlucky coincidence. I'll give them 5 months tops. ;-)))

G

Goldcroft 07:40 11 May 2003

I have no connection, or interest in Telewest or Blueyonder but thought their detailed explanations (VoGs click)to customers deserved some praise.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?