Telephones & Rented Accomodation

interzone55 08:41 02 Mar 2010

I've just moved into a house I'm renting from a private landlord.

Currently there's no phone line installed and I'm getting confusing information about who is responsible for installing a line - some say it's the tenant, some say it's the landlord.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some definitive information one way or the other. I have a meeting with the landlord in a couple of days to go over work that needs to be done, so I'd like to add this to the list...

Ta very much

oldbeefer3 09:03 02 Mar 2010

I have 5 houses that I let. I am NOT responsible for the phone line - that is down to the tenant, just like Sky etc. I AM responsible for providing water, electricity and gas (where available) and servicing the boiler and that's it.

Mr Mistoffelees 09:25 02 Mar 2010

Oldbeefer3 is right, the phone-line is your responsibility.

interzone55 09:34 02 Mar 2010

Thanks for that, I'll get on to BT ASAP as I need internet at home for work purposes (no work doesn't pay the bill, but it makes my life easier to do some work at home)

wiz-king 12:23 02 Mar 2010

Sit down when you get the cost! Check if you can get cable - it may work out cheaper on installation cost grounds.

peugeot man 12:34 02 Mar 2010

I would say that you will need the Landlords permission to install a phone line or cable.

Perhaps oldbeefer3 will confirm this.

oldbeefer3 17:23 02 Mar 2010

It's always wise to approach the letting agent, but 99% of the time they will agree as an installed line is a bonus when re-letting.

interzone55 09:09 03 Mar 2010

I spoke to my new landlord last night and he's got no problem with me fitting a phone line, he did say there's a line to the house, but no BT box as the phone was disconnected a couple of decades ago and not reconnected...

oldbeefer3 09:10 03 Mar 2010

That probably means BT will charge the full connection fee, but you might be lucky!

spuds 16:36 03 Mar 2010

With most ISP's now charging line rental into their packages, there might be a case that one of these ISP's arrange the connecting line at special prices. Perhaps worth checking, unless you go the Sky/Virgin way!.

Would perhaps mention, that some landlords provide phone-internet lines, especially in student accommodations nowadays.

interzone55 17:31 03 Mar 2010

Nice idea but I will be using a lot of bandwidth, so need an uncapped ISP, most of the bundles I've checked out have limits.

I'll be using the line to stream CCTV cameras I've been testing to a remote server, so 10gb of traffic isn't unusual some days...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?