technology and the elderly

bert52a 14:39 24 Aug 2006

my parents are in their 80's and they can easily become confused.6 months ago they transferred their phone line to another phone company after being approached in a supermarket.Because my Dad was getting upset about a bill I said I would try to help out.
I asked him to phone the company and arrange for me to get access to their account.He later returned my call and said he couldn't understand the person on the helpline and had to put the phone down.Because of security they won't deal directly with me so now I don't know how to help.
Do these companies target vulnerable people for easy sales? My dad doesn't recall his reason for swapping /switching companies but says his new bills are more than with Bt.

€dstowe 15:11 24 Aug 2006

Contact the company's head office and complain.

I've no proof but, I tend to agree with you about the sales people for these supermarket phone companies tending to target the aged and more vulnerable. I've seen it several times where they avoid approaching me (and other early middle age or younger punters) to try their chances with obvious pensioners.

bert52a 15:19 24 Aug 2006

thanks for that.
I wonder if something like Help the Aged araware of this.It's very cynical and wrong.I'd be very interested if anyone else feels the same way.

Pamy 15:23 24 Aug 2006

If you have no joy with €dstowe's suggestion I think I would waite for 12 months then you can go to Uswitch or simmilar and, check out the prices and do the deal for them.

Forum Editor 19:01 24 Aug 2006

arranging for your parents to grant you a power of attorney. It's a simple enough procedure, and would mean that banks, solicitors, and anyone else with whom your parents have financial dealings, would deal with you as if you were your parents.

VCR97 21:03 24 Aug 2006

Try your local Trading Standards people.

Colin 12:36 25 Aug 2006

My elderly next door neighbour always signs up for anything that she is approached about - at home or out shopping. Elderley people tend to be too polite to refuse. If she tells me or the wife about it soon enough we tell her to cancel it immediately. Sometimes when she does this, she is told that she can't, but that's where we get involved and sort it out for her. I appreciate that this doesn't help bert52a, but doorstep sales or people in supermarkets etc. really irritate me. I once got into an argument with a chap waiting to pounce behind the checkout at a DIY store. I said that I wasn't interested, to which he said that I didn't know what he was offering. I replied that unless he was giving away money then he could go away quickly, (or words to that effect)!

bert52a 12:56 25 Aug 2006

lots of good advice.
I am arranging to share power of attorney with 2 of my sisters andI hope my parents will now ask me to help whenever necessary.
They are too polite to question too much and are probably easy meat for these ruthless sales tactics .It seems quite a coincidence that the cooling down period associated with many agreements usually runs out just before the first bill is sent.

yaesu 19:46 25 Aug 2006

It's not impolite to say NO! If they persist just walk away. Regards, yaesu.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans échec ?