The Techguys/PC World/Dixons/Currys/DSGi

TheFloy 00:09 10 Dec 2008

Hello all, just came accross some intresting news from within the techguys that they have "let go" (i assume that means made redundant) a lot of their field engineers ie the ones that fix desktop machines and this comes just after their desktop workshop was closed down too.

I heard that somewhere in the region of 300 jobs were cancelled today and I do not see how they are going to keep their promise of next day service if you report your problem before midday.

Should probably keep an eye on DSGi as I read that they made a 61 million loss in the last 6 months and now they are letting staff go, maybe another victim of the credit crunch?

GANDALF <|:-)> 08:24 10 Dec 2008

We are just STARTING one of the biggest recessions in memory...did you think that things would be different?

G

spuds 11:27 10 Dec 2008

I think that you may well find that some of the stores might be treading on thin ice, especially were you have a number of stores selling similar/same products within reasonable travelling distance from each other.

In two of our large local shopping 'parks', we have PCW, Currys, Comet etc all within easy reach of each other, wanting the same customers. Something as to give, and thats not only the price of a product. The tills no doubt will rattle over the Christmas period, but after that, when the credit and bank statements arrive, and people find their own jobs or working hours and conditions in question!!.

The Brigadier 12:27 10 Dec 2008

DSG like others in the market place will see a drop in their profits this year, why do you think the sales have started already!
I doubt DSG will go bust due to the amount of business they really do per unit per site.

wee eddie 13:04 10 Dec 2008

to similar outlets grouping together, that is how the High Street came about.

spuds 13:22 10 Dec 2008

I suppose there are advantages and disadvantages regarding grouping together. Nothing like being told that the price is the minimum, then going next door for a price or better match deal.Even the internet as a lot to blame for the move from the high streets.

In my home town over the past two or more years, there was many individuals who thought that a wine bar or eatery as the definite 'in-thing', especially in the same public congested areas. Sadly it is becoming more noticeable, that closures and bailiff notes on windows are becoming more the norm. Even those that are trying to survive in our area, have started to open earlier with special full breakfast menus and offers, which are still not enticing the paying public in volume or worthwhile sales.

wee eddie 14:47 10 Dec 2008

Part of the reason for the eventual failure of my business, after 24 years trading, was Newcomers selling at below economic prices to steal my trade.

I notice that they have now all changed hands, at least once, in the last 4 years. Unfortunately, selling at below cost is a Failed Business Plan, meantime they pushed me to near bankruptcy.

LastChip 01:19 11 Dec 2008

is anything to go by, I'm not surprised they're letting people go.

My son is starting a new project and needed a specific digital camera. We found it on-line, but had not at that time heard of the company and as it was over £300, decided to try and source it locally.

PC World were supposed to have it in stock, but we didn't know if our local branch had one. Off we went to the local store and found a young chap (sales assistant). We asked if they had that model in stock. He carried out a computer check and said: No, sorry, we don't have one. Not deterred, my son asked, could they please get him one? I doubt it came the reply. However, reluctantly he scanned his computer again, to find one at a branch about 20 miles away. My son: "could you get that one for me please?" I doubt they'll pick up the phone was the reply, but he reluctantly tried and sure to his word, couldn't get a reply. By now, it was very obvious, we were becoming a pain in the neck to this young man and the quicker he could get rid of us, the better. Finally he said: Currys (another DRG store) in town had one and we may get it there.

Off we went with a poor impression of the lack of interest shown thus far, but high hopes that maybe, we would get him the camera he needed.

Arrived at Currys, with four people behind their "Customer Service" desk , which doubles for the camera area. Stood there for a good ten minutes, waiting for these four people (not serving anyone) to show any interest in what we might want. Finally one of the guys approaches and asks if he can help. (What with PC World and now Currys, I'm getting bad vibes, but my son's anxious for the camera, so I persevere.) It becomes clear, he hasn't got a clue about the camera and finally passes us to a young lady who bravely attempts to show marginally more interest than the afore mentioned staff. Sorry, we don't have one, she says. "But what about the one there on display?" asks my son. "Ah, you can have that, but it's incomplete", she answers. Son - "What do you mean? "It doesn't have a battery" she says. Son - "When are you going to get one?" "I've no idea" was the reply.

At that point, I said to my son, "forget it"!

We came home, did some further research and it turned out, the company we were suspicious about, was an on-line subsidiary of Argos. Ordered it on line and it came the next day via DHL.

Is it any wonder, these shops are struggling?

Even when you've got cash burning a hole in your pocket, they don't want to know.

oresome 11:46 11 Dec 2008

John Browett is the CEO of DSGI.

He would benefit from hearing of customer experiences like yours.

spuds 11:56 11 Dec 2008

From an experience I had with a Medion product and Staples, I would advice that a Display, seal broken or incomplete product is considered as a no purchase.

The manufacturers or retailers warranty might well be void, because the item (once opened) might be classed as 'second hand/second user', which under consumer law, as different meanings.

LastChip 12:50 11 Dec 2008

I have no argument with those sentiments. In fact, I was very reluctant to take an ex-display model, but my son would have accepted it, had he had the opportunity to get his hands on the camera quickly.

However, that's not really the point of my post.

The whole crux of the sorry tale, was the lack of interest shown by all but the young lady and even then, wasn't exactly glowing. An offhand "I've no idea" with no further explanation is not exactly good for customer relations!

This tale, while being as accurate as I can write, happens to be part of DSGi, but could equally apply to any number of major retailers. They are simply not getting their act together when it comes to anything remotely looking like customer service.

The sad fact is, reliable Internet retailers are running rings around them and are normally more competitive on price as well.

Front line staff are the "be all and end all" of your business success (or failure). Peanuts and monkeys spring to mind.

Looking at the "footfall" last Saturday while I was in these stores, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see serious closures in the new year and lack of service can only accelerate that process.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017