TechGuys complaints

Ellee 08:04 05 Oct 2007

Can anyone please advise how to get my laptop back from TechGuys. They have had it for 2 months to replace a broken screen which they said would take 10 days. They have lost emails, ordered the wrong part, lied about its completion date and dealing with them has been a nightmare experience. Now I have to pay them £60 to get my laptop back for THEIR inconvenience. They have also been paid upfront for the job. I wrote about it on my blog. Please advise. They are so unpleasant to deal with.

click here

The Brigadier 09:01 05 Oct 2007

Nice hatchet job on them!
Pay the £60 get your laptop back & then complain if you so wish!

Would have thought with your 'experience' you would have dealt with the situation differetly?

laurie53 09:19 05 Oct 2007

Have you tried Consumer Direct?

The 12th Man 09:57 05 Oct 2007

Normally, out of warranty repairs are charged at £120 plus parts. Only the £120 is payable upfront. The rest is payable after a quote and the customer can choose to not have the repair done but the £120 is not refundable.

If it was a warranty repair job, but the fault wasn't covered, eg. A cracked screen, then a customer customer would have to pay for the repair and normally a carriage fee.

If you have any reference numbers like a customer ID or a job number, you can email me using the yellow envelope and I can have a look into it for you. I can't promise anything though. Oh, and can you please put PCA as the subject so it doesn't get deleted as spam.

The Brigadier 11:20 05 Oct 2007

So what do you do for 'The Tech Guys/DSG'

Ellee 12:11 05 Oct 2007

The laptop is out of warranty, it's only because TechGuys were recommended at the top of Sony's list of repairers for my area that we went to them. As I said, they have even been paid upfront.

Brigadier, I would like to know what approach you would recommend if Tech Guys even refuse to call Sony and enquire if the screen is in stock and when we can expect the repair to be completed. Isn't that a reasonable expectation? They have lied from beginning to end. What would you do in my shoes?

spuds 12:56 05 Oct 2007

click here perhaps!

The 12th Man 13:30 05 Oct 2007

Stuff.

Ellee.

If you mail me the details (again, put PCA in the subject) I'll look into it for you. I'm not in until Monday, but I'll be able to get back to you then.

I find it odd that you paid £225 upfront. Was it in one installment? or did you pay the £120 and then a further £105? You see, the initial £120 is for carriage and labour. Any extra parts are charged on top and need to be paid seperately.

Did you organise this repair through a store? If you did, they still should have charged you the initial £120 only. This seems like an odd set of circumstances.

Ellee 14:34 05 Oct 2007

Thanks Brigadier, I hope you have received the info via an email on your link. This is my first time on this site, please be patient if I get things wrong.

The Brigadier 15:39 05 Oct 2007

To be honest once you have the Laptop back and if it's not been repaired properly you could if still unhappy with the service from The Tech Guys take them to the Small Claims Court to recover any monies.

I suggest you also get a copy of MicroMart(on sale on Thursdays at all good newsagents) lots of adverts in it from companies that repair laptops & at a fraction of the cost that you have been charged.

12th Man
Stuff?
Who are they & wants your connection with The Tech Guys?

The 12th Man 16:23 05 Oct 2007

The TechGuys are a brand owned by DSGi (That's Dixons Stores Group international). They are the service and repair side. I work for them. It is, as you can imagine, a massive company with lots of employees in various roles.

But so as we don't hijack this thread....

...Ellee, please keep us informed of your progress.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone