TECH GUYS - REPLACEMENT COMPUTER ADVICE

allezvite 10:09 21 Dec 2010

Looking for a bit of advice on whether or not I'm likely to be able to push for a replacement laptop with the Tech Guys.

Laptop, which is covered by PC World under their PC Performance policy, suffered coke spillage on November 22nd. I called Tech Guys who arranged for pick up on 24th.

Went for repair and got back to me on Monday 13th. Keyboard was replaced and new battery installed but the computer was still in a right mess. Six different faults including a jammed shut DVD drive, on button that was hard to get to, software failure, power on problems and a laptop that won't shutdown. Bascially, the laptop is nowhere near repaired from the original 'repair' and I actioned them to look at it again just two days after getting my computer back.

Called Tech Guys again last Wed and they arranged for a pick up on Friday. Due to extreme weather in my part of Scotland there has been no sign of any DPD guys and seemingly no prospect of a pick-up before Christmas according to their website.

In my policy it say that if repairs can not be completed within 42 days you are entitled to an replacement (in the form of store vouchers).

It's now day 28 or 30 (depending on whether they count the days from when you call or when they collect the computer). But if the delivery problems continue and they miss the 42 day deadline will I be able to push for a replacement or will they have a get-out clause because the delivery company aren't coming to collect my laptop?

xania 10:24 21 Dec 2010

IMHO, you damaged the laptop so you are doping well to get them to do a repair job. Coupled with the bad weather which will allow any company to claim force majeure and I would say you need to give them much more time to effect a proper reapir of your laptop. How much is reasonable depends on how much longer the bad weather continues, but at present, they must be some 14 days behind by now!!

spuds 10:32 21 Dec 2010

It would appear that you already have another thread running on this same subject click here

There are a number of other similar threads on similar issues and Tech Guys poor performance.

allezvite 10:44 21 Dec 2010

Xania, I'm not disputing the laptop is damaged for any other reason than my own carelessness. My little boy knocked a can of coke over it but then that is why I took out 'accidental damage' cover as I have also done with our desktop. Under those terms and conditions they have to fix the computer which they haven't done.

I'm not an unreasonable man and understand the delivery problems are outwith their control. I just need to know where I stand with forcing a replacement as I'm not at all happy with the way they have dealt with this or my mother-in-laws computer which is also an ongoing dispute.

Spuds. Do I have to merge the two threads? If so how is it done?

Forum Editor 10:57 21 Dec 2010

based on the same topic. I'll lock this version now, please make any future posts in your original thread.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?