Tech Guys: Discrepancy over warranty

forse1 21:37 25 May 2009

Hi All,
I purchased a Packard bell imedia 2414 last May. In April this year I contacted Cover Plan to purchase an extended warranty on my monitor and base unit. I was told by the advisor that the base unit was on a 2 year warranty. I asked a second time if she was sure and was assured that I could purchase this next year. Four weeks later my DVD/RW drive stopped working so I contacted Tech guys only to be told that my 1 year warranty has run out. They informed me to contact CoverPlan customer service to get this sorted out. When I called I was told by one person that the receipt system is showing 1 year and the extended warranty system is showing 2 years. When I asked if Coverplan would honour what they have informed me he proceeded to tell me that he couldn't confirm if this would happen.
What are my rights and how can I get this resolved? My Warranty ran out on May 6th.

lotvic 22:47 25 May 2009

Does your receipt show that you paid for an extended warranty?
Where did you purchase the pc & monitor?

Forum Editor 23:21 25 May 2009

about your one year warranty running out. The terms of the Sale of Goods Act mean that the retailer must replace a faulty item if it fails to last a 'reasonable time', and in the case of a DVD/RW drive this will certainly be longer than just over a year.

Forget about extended warranties - you don't need one because you have adequate protection under the law. Push the retailer from whom you bought the machine - say you want a new DVD/RW drive, and tell them that we said they must provide one.

forse1 12:09 26 May 2009

Thanks for your help I can confirm that I purchased both monitor and base unit at PC world. I will contact them now to sort this out and will keep you updtaed of the outcome. With regards to teh warranty how do I sort this out if two systems are showing different things?

Forum Editor 19:08 26 May 2009

concentrate on the protection you are afforded by consumer legislation, and in this case by the Sale of goods act in particular. You are adequately protected by this act, and PC World must rectify the fault - which means supplying a new drive. A retailer cannot seek to impose terms and conditions that remove or limit your consumer rights.

In saying this I'm assuming that you have done nothing that might have precipitated the drive's failure.

curofone 20:04 26 May 2009

saying all of this, are you actually 100% sure that the drive is knackered and it is not something stupid like the upper filter registry problem that has knocked out your drive (PB machine seem to suffer from this problem more than most)?

if you want me to go through any quick diags with you feel free to send me a private messege.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?