The Tech Guys

that big lad 22:29 28 Oct 2009

hello all,

Around 4 weeks ago i took my laptop to pc world to have a data back up under my business pc performance, I was told there was a fault with the laptop and it needed sending off to be repaired, as this is my business computer and i need it i was worried, however the guys told me i would recieve a phone call to arrange my loan laptop within 24 hours which under my business agreement i`m entitled too.. panic over...

after a couple of days and no phone call i rang the store and asked were the loan laptop was they gave me a number to ring, i rang this number and was told "your not entitled to a loan laptop, is there anything else i can help you with"... anyway time after time i rang and got the same answer... after a couple of weeks i finally rang DSG who told me i am entitled to a loan laptop because i have business cover... so i rang tech guys back and was told sorry for the mistake will you accept a £20 voucher, i told them my business revolves around having a computer i have lost alot more than £20.. they said i need to write to the correspondense team to claim compensation as it was there error...

I did this stating my loses and there errors...after a week with no response, i rang again and was told by a jumped up little fool that i`m not covered on my policy for loss of earnings...

I am very much out of pocket due to there error, i`d appreciate any information on what the next step is or if this has happend to you and what you did..

it is nearly 4 weeks now...they still have my laptop "awaiting parts" and i still have no loan laptop...

thanks for any advice

Input Overload 05:59 29 Oct 2009

If I relied on my PC for my livelihood I would have 3 PC's and 3 external 1TB drives. Just like I have. I agree with your points but you really need your own fail-safe disaster system in place. I would have 2 laptops & a desktop all synchronised, you can claim a fair bit of such a system back anyway. My data would also be kept at a remote location.

iscanut 10:08 29 Oct 2009

I assume when you took laptop in it was working OK so what did they tell you was wrong with it ?

that big lad 10:32 29 Oct 2009

they have told me the motherboard, the harddrive and the lcd all need replacing, its been away nearly 4 weeks and i`m pretty sure i can clain for money for a new computer of the same spec now... i have used them before with other computers and they have always fixed them within a couple of weeks..

The fact that i paid extra for the best cover especally for the loan computer, which they havent given me after 4 weeks and the fact that they have told me upto recently i`m not entitled to one is my reasoning for complaint...

I wouldnt recommend anyone else getting the so called best cover plan from the tech guys as this is the sort of service you should expect to recieve... USELESS

amonra 11:10 29 Oct 2009

Back-up back-up and still more back-up.
Never ever give your one and only works machine to anyone other than a fully qualified competent repair engineer. Preferably, get him to analyse the fault in your own premises in front of you.
I know it's like crying over spilt milk but this forum has repeatedly warned readers of these so called "tech guys".

that big lad 11:36 29 Oct 2009

they are only interested in getting your monthly direct debit...

just wondering if anyone has had success with a case against these thiefs?

as my next port of call is my solicitor...

As instore Tech Guys, we're told that customers will only receive a loan laptop under business PC Performance if they organise laptop collection from their home. Organising it for collection from the store (or having the store itself organise it for you from the store) doesn't give you a loan laptop. Unfortuantely, it seems you were mis-advised of this in the branch you visited.

As for repair times, laptops can be away for up to 28 days. After 28 days, you can contact Tech Guys and request a replacement under the 28 day rule. This only applies within the first year. After the first year this time is extended to 6 weeks. When did you purchase the laptop?

that big lad 13:00 29 Oct 2009

"As instore Tech Guys, we're told that customers will only receive a loan laptop under business PC Performance if they organise laptop collection from their home. Organising it for collection from the store (or having the store itself organise it for you from the store) doesn't give you a loan laptop. Unfortuantely, it seems you were mis-advised of this in the branch you visited."

i should of had someone one come out to me then should i? the plot thickens!!!

the laptop is over a year old, so it`ll be 6 weeks then...

It's not in-home repair, just collection from home. Basically a courier comes to your house, gives you the loan laptop and takes your laptop away for repair. This usually only happens if you contact The Tech Guys on the phone yourself though, and don't leave it up to the store to sort things out for you.

that big lad 13:10 29 Oct 2009

its says in the booklet, next working day office repair service, so i should of had that... shouldnt i?

Big L 266 15:21 29 Oct 2009

Hello.

I so sympathise with you. Dealing with PC World a few months ago was a nightmare. My computer went wrong within 10 seconds of it starting up. Every time I pass a store now,I break into a horrible sweaty jibbering relic given how it took 3 months to sort out via many consumer organisations.

In the end,I won,they lost.

Ain't never going back there again.

Nurse! The acreens! I feel an attack coming on!

Big L 266

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?