talk talk broadband

neez 10:52 21 Nov 2007

help. I received a call from Talk Talk advising me that onetel was closing and that they were taking over. They offered me a trial , cancelled my BT line but did not send me any information.
1.I had no idea i was signing in to an 18month contract.
2. I did not get a new wireless modem and after 20+ phone cals a bill of £94 I was finally advised that Talk Talk did not support my 17month old Netgear router.
3. Was told that i had to BUY their recommended router 'sagem/speedtouch' if I wanted a wireless connection in my home for my 3 computers at a cost of £50.
has anyone else had this problem. I am now on a wired modem and my son is going ballistic as he cannot use the internet, get his 'A' level research done and alot of friction. Please can someone advise me what to do. talk Talk is of no help due to language difficulties and I have already have an enormous phone bill trying to seek help with netgear and 1st and 2nd line technical help at Talk Talk

TopCat® 15:03 21 Nov 2007

Onetel is still active - have you spoken with them for confirmation? click here

neez 17:14 21 Nov 2007

I have contacted One Tel and am awaiting their reply. Customer service at Talk Talk is unhelpful apart from reducing my 1st bill by £5.00.
I need information about Sagem do you know anything?

Stuartli 19:13 21 Nov 2007

OneTel has been part of the Carphone Warehouse Group for at least the past 18 months...:-)

Sagem info and support at:

click here

spuds 19:19 21 Nov 2007

"I need information about Sagem do you know anything?". Depends on what you want to know!.

I have both the Thomson/Alcetal Speedtouch 330 and the Sagem [email protected] 800 modems. These were both supplied by Tiscali for their broadband service. Never had any problems with either unit's, and they have been use for about 3 years now.

Talk Talk seem to recommend either of the above or the Huawei Smart AX MT 882 (wired) or the Huawei HG520 (wireless) modems. As a new customer Talk Talk will supply a wired modem for free, and a wireless modem for £20.00.

Carphone Warehouse (Talk Talk) can supply Philips and Belkin wireless routers plus Netgear DG834G Network Starter kit's.

Regarding the Huawei Smart AX MY 882 modems, these are available in easy supply from eBay. I have just purchased two BNIB units £6/£8 including post-packing.

neez 23:34 21 Nov 2007

thanks for the help. I have just been offered sagem by talktalk but there is a long waiting list. It is just frustrating having to buy more stuff when i have a perfectly good router that worked when I was with BT/onetel and now seems to be incompatible with the same company ie carphone warehouse

Faser 06:39 23 Nov 2007

I'm not certain but it's possible that there is a "cooling off period" with your contract and it does sound as if you were tricked into an eighteen month contract.

From reading web posts and the press it would seem Talk Talk has an appalling reputation for customer service and you are clearly not happy with them. It would be in your best interest to contact Consumer Direct immediately click here

If you can get out of the contract there are many phone and broadband deals usually with a free router thrown in.

Faser 06:39 23 Nov 2007

I'm not certain but it's possible that there is a "cooling off period" with your contract and it does sound as if you were tricked into an eighteen month contract.

From reading web posts and the press it would seem Talk Talk has an appalling reputation for customer service and you are clearly not happy with them. It would be in your best interest to contact Consumer Direct immediately click here

If you can get out of the contract there are many phone and broadband deals usually with a free router thrown in.

Stuartli 13:02 23 Nov 2007

I've used a Sagem [email protected] 800 and Speedtouch 330 USB modems with TalkTalk (the Sagem was the original Tiscali modem) previously and have used a £15 e-Buyer Value ADSL2/2+ wired modem router for the past 13 months; all three modems have performed as expected.

TalkTalk has an initial 18 month contract and I've been with it since a year last April, so the contract period is up - I've no intention of seeking a new ISP, especially as my £20.50 a month TalkTalk International3 package is remarkable value for money.

In fact, as I've said many times, no other ISP in the UK has yet got near matching it, never mind bettering it.

spuds 18:27 23 Nov 2007

Regarding the Talk Talk 18 month contract, there is a let-out clause for new customers. If you do not like the service, you have up to 30 days to cancel the agreement without penalty.

neez 18:38 23 Nov 2007

Thanks everyone for your support so far. I have been contacted by Talk Talk customer services so watch this space. it will be interesting to see if they can help me as there was little response before posting on pc forum. am wired or perhaps the best phrase is wired up but hopefully they can help as well.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?