Sygate

gold 47 14:15 20 Nov 2003

Bought the Sygate Firewall no problem with it
but on looking at my credit card statement they had taken two payments instead of £32.96 they had taken £65.92 tried there uk office useless rang there office in Fremont CA America again told to write email to there sales office four emails later still no reply the way this company responds
to complaints is poor to say the least to the point of being dam rude will ring them again tonight. BE WARNED IF YOUR BUYING FROM THEM.

MichelleC 23:34 21 Nov 2003

This sometimes happens if the payment page takes ages to reload and people action again thinking it wasn't completed 1st time. If you ring credit c company they may refund.

Jean-Luc Picard 14:54 22 Nov 2003

Why buy when you can get a version for free?

DieSse 15:55 22 Nov 2003

Maybe because the free versions are always cut-down compared with the commercial versions?

Maybe when you're not a "personal user"

maybe when you've got a network?

Jean-Luc Picard 16:13 22 Nov 2003

I have run Zone Alarm Free edition on a network with no problems. It might take a little longer to set up on a network than Norton for instance but it can be done. I have installed Sygate free edition for friends on Networks and they have not had a problem. I think sometimes people see the word "pro" and think they are getting a great deal extra when this is often not the case. The only genuine reason I can see for paying good money for a pro version is if you need multiple licenses.

DieSse 22:11 22 Nov 2003

I didn't say it was impossible, or that it shouldn't be done - I was merely pointing out reasons why people may choose, or should choose to get a paid-for version.

As is happens I use a free version of Sygate - but I am considering getting an upgarded version, both for the facilities it offers, and for the fact it helps support a professional software company with good products.

Jean-Luc Picard 00:35 23 Nov 2003

Since your in such a benevolent mood and hve some money to burn!

The Spires 15:08 23 Nov 2003

I buy the Plus version of Zone Alarm because it offers features not on the Free version. I buy AV software for the same reason, I don't have money to burn & if people prefer to use Freeware (I do too) that's fine but there is no wrong or right thing to do. However it seems to me the days of Freeware are numbered.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017