Suggestions on a laptop please!

jolou82 11:50 19 Oct 2010

I am a brand new mature student, and I've realised that a laptop (as opposed to my desktop in the room where small children play) is something I really need.

I want something right at the budget end of the scale - I have an abosolute maximum of £400 to spend. IT must be from a major retailler, and either new or a manufacturer referb. Any suggestions as to what is going to be most reliable. It will be used primarily for studying - I'm not a gamer or anything, but it must have a DVD ROM drive, and I want Windows 7 rather than Vista. I've been looking at entry level Toshiba Satellites, or perhaps Dell Inspirons. I would love a Vaio referb (E Series) but I think the chances of one coming up in a week or so are fairly slim. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

chub_tor 12:41 19 Oct 2010

Toshiba is reckoned to be the second most reliable manufacturer of laptops after Asus click here so any of the Satellite series would be a good choice. You can pick and choose your options from the Toshiba UK website click here#$=&xcUI=profile=neutralprofile;&_1sz/banner_id/helpmechose2/

The Kestrel 19:59 19 Oct 2010

This looks a good deal at ebuyer, but there is only 1 available as it is ex display click here

Another possibility click here

john bunyan 21:27 19 Oct 2010

see my reply here

click here

I agree re Toshiba - John Lewis do a free 2 year guarantee

Covergirl 22:17 19 Oct 2010

£379 click here

Just ordered one tonight for a friend. 4GB RAM, 2.3Ghz T4500 dual core processor, 320GB HDD, wireless etc.

Daily papers say the offer must end 21st Oct but no mention of that on Dells website

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone