Suggestions for a Hybrid TV Tuner

Ade_1 10:52 23 Oct 2006

Hi, I am looking for a TV tuner which works with Sky+ so that I can backup my favourite episodes of programmes etc... I was informed a Hybrid TV Tuner can do this, I believe that a Hybrid TV Tuner supports the RF analogue output of Sky+.

If the above is correct can anyone suggest any decent TV Tuners to do this job?

Thanks in advance

Aidan

Ade_1 10:58 23 Oct 2006

I have come across the following however not 100% sure if it will do the job.
click here

Does anyone know if this would work?

Thanks in advance

Aidan

Vangeliska 11:03 23 Oct 2006

The one you linked to is a Terrestrial Tuner, so no, it won't work!
BTW Sky+ requires a Sky+ box plus extra subscription to function.

Ade_1 11:10 23 Oct 2006

O yes i see now!, must have missed that bit...

I do have a Sky+ box and I pay monthly for the channels I recieve, so what do you mean by extra subscription?

Thanks in advance

Aidan

Ade_1 11:17 23 Oct 2006

Another suggestion - click here

A quote from that page -
Worldwide Analog TV reception from cable/air TV
Watch free-to-air digital terrestrial TV

This one was suggested to me on a thread I started about 5 months ago and someone was actually using this one to do what I want to do.

Thanks

Aidan

v1asco 11:24 23 Oct 2006

I've got an earlier version of the Kworld analogue/digital and it works well. Has usual connections to link up to video so may be good for sky.

Rigga 11:50 23 Oct 2006

Both of your suggestions would work.

The first one would work, as it "Supports worldwide Analog TV reception" which is what the sky+ box outputs.

However you must make sure that whichever one you buy does not have a fixed antenna, so that there is an RF input on the device.

HTH. R.

Vangeliska 13:07 23 Oct 2006

If you have a Sky+ box with a subscription for 2 lots of Premium packages they waive the £10 Sky+ subscription.

As you know the Sky+ box has an inbuilt HDD for recording programmes, if you want to "back up" it is simply a matter of connecting a VCR or DVD recorder (better) to your Sky+ box, preferably via a Scart cable and transferring to the medium you prefer. Or are you talking about using your PC HDD for storage?

Ade_1 13:21 23 Oct 2006

Vangeliska, what I want to do is simply to record my recordings from Sky + onto my computer so I can watch them on that.

Just to inform, I have bought the one I saw on the Maplin site, and I will post back later once I have tried it this afternoon.

Thanks

Aidan

Ade_1 15:59 23 Oct 2006

I have got it working. I connected it via a coax cable from the antenna port to the RF 2 port. However, the quality of the picture isnt particularly good... It looks as though it needs "fine tuning" however I have tried using hte tuning feature and not alot is happening.

Any help on this matter would be grearly appriciated.

Thanks in advance

Aidan

Stuartli 16:12 23 Oct 2006

>>Watch free-to-air digital terrestrial TV>>

This is a Freeview card, obviously similar to my Twinhan DVB-ter D+A (Digital + Analogue), which can also be used to input VCR, games console and similar signals as well and record them if necessary.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone