In stock means in stock somewhere

mikeben121 22:20 18 May 2007

Am I the only person who objects to these online retailers showing items in stock when what they mean is that the supplier or a wholesaler has stock?

I can appreciate its a way of keeping costs down but its reliant on the suppliers stock control being good, and the retailers credit being good.

spuds 23:40 18 May 2007

I make a number of purchases from Ebuyer, and on occasions some of their items are delivered direct from other sources, always on the same courier van.Personally, where the items come from is of little interest to me, providing the goods arrive on time, and the original seller takes responsibility for any problems.

Keeping huge warehouses and many staff doesn't come cheap, especially if you are expected to 'hold' thousands of items, some of which could be very slow movers, which could well be left on their hands, with no profit margin left.

i have come across this a couple of times, maybe 'available' is a little more truthfull than 'in stock'

wee eddie 13:48 19 May 2007

means "in Stock" the last time it was checked.

That may mean, 1 minute ago, 20 minutes ago, 24 hours ago, 48 hours ago and it all depends on the nature of the database that is used in the ordering process.

There are busy times of day when there may be more than one person ordering at any moment. The first one to complete their order gets the product. However when Number 2 started to order the item it was still in stock.

oldbeefer2 10:13 21 May 2007

Ordered a LCD TV from Evesham last Sunday - '256 in stock'. Had an e-mail from them on Wed saying model obsolete, so I ordered a different model. Web site still showing 175 in stock!

oresome 18:48 21 May 2007

Show "out of stock" and you risk losing sales.

Once you've got the order from the customer, you can string them along a while, hoping that stock will arrive.

A cynic.......who, me?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?