Staples "Price Match" or possibly not....

Jpeg6785 10:02 06 Mar 2008

Staples have a big sign as you walk through the door guaranteeing you that if you find the product cheaper elsewhere with 14days they will give you the difference back plus 10%.

Now I know its not always the cheapest place but you can get some good deals from time to time and the other week I bought a brother all in one printer/fax £69.99 and was very impressed with it, that was until I went to the local mall and saw it in Maplins and partners for £49.99.... having took the receipt back to the store I found that they wouldn’t refund the difference because after they telephoned the other stores they said they were "effectively On promotion" after they had gone through the small print and price history's, partners showed no signs of this being a special offer.….

No amount of diplomacy or tact was going to get the difference back, not even a goodwill gesture from the manager. £5.00 difference I can live with, £10.00 even but £20.00 even the manager agreed he too would be annoyed but was still adamant that he was going to do nothing.

It therefore pays to shop around even though you are seemingly "Guaranteed a price match within 14 days" which may not be as good as it seems in the end with all the caveats.

oresome 10:36 06 Mar 2008

Staples price match is as follows:

"If you find the same product at a lower price elsewhere, show us the price and we will match it and give you 10% of the difference (up to £25 inc. VAT) up to 14 days after your purchase from Staples. The price promise does not apply to technology products appearing in any catalogue or on-line offering. Terms & conditions apply, see in-store for full details."

It would be helpful if they more widely published the full terms and conditions if they are going to use these as a get out.

pbillin 15:26 03 Oct 2011

Staples is notoriously difficult to price match at, unless you are suitably prepared.

You can find some guidance here for the U.S.: http://www.pricematching.us/index.php/price-matching-stores/staples-price-matching/

Canada here: http://www.pricematching.ca/index.php/price-matching-stores/staples-price-matching/

iscanut 17:13 03 Oct 2011

This post is three and a half years old. Why resurrect it now rather than start a new one ? Why tell us about US and Canada price matches?

Covergirl 07:51 04 Oct 2011

Yet another good reason to lock old threads . . . . !!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?