SSD for under £150

BaboonBoy22 15:56 28 Aug 2009

Can anyone suggest an SSD for under £150?
I haven't had any experience with these drives before, so not sure how to work the out the goods from the bads.
I'm going to be using this as a replacement for my primary drive.

I am Spartacus 16:06 28 Aug 2009

OCZ Vertex click here slightly over at £162. There is a 30GB version but it may be too small for Vista. I'm planning on getting one soon they have excellent write ups. Not the fastest but a fraction of the price of the Intel's.

I am Spartacus 16:08 28 Aug 2009

Useful information at click here

Review at click here

interzone55 16:23 28 Aug 2009

SSDs are very expensive at the moment, and a lot of the cheaper models are going to offer no operational advantage over a standard hard drive.

This is probably the cheapest reasonable capacity model - Kingston SSD Now V 128gb @ £186

click here

I am Spartacus 20:03 28 Aug 2009

Hmm, 'No operational advantage over a standard hard drive'

From the OVZ Vertex review conclusions:

'Simply put, the OCZ Vertex is awesome. It’s the first MLC drive we’ve tested that’s comfortably outpaced mechanical drives in not just some, but every single test we ran and by quite significant margins too. It’s faster at reading, writing, copying, random write, random read, boot times and level loads – whichever way you choose to look at it, it’s just faster in every way we could find to test it.'

I am Spartacus 14:05 02 Sep 2009

I decided to order one last week and now it's installed I'm impressed. My previous OS drive was a Velociraptor 300GB.

Good Points
The Vertex is silent;
The PC boots around 10 seconds faster;
Applications open virtually instantaneously compared to a few seconds with the Velociraptor drive;
Takes up less space than a 3.5" hard drive;
The one I got has the latest firmware installed.

Bad points
Performance can apparently deteriorate over time which an erase (HDErase) and reinstall from a disk image (Acronis TI) restores.
Small capacity.
Page File ideally needs to be on a separate mechanical drive to avoid loss of performance (I already do this).

As I already use a hard drive in each of my systems for the OS only the small capacity isn't in issue. I'm very pleased with it but will wait until prices drop a fair bit before replacing my OS drives in my other PCs.

BaboonBoy22 11:06 03 Nov 2009

OK.. I have had this purchase on a back burner for a while now.
I’m struggling to decide between OCZ or Kingston as they seem to be the most popular.
Has anyone had any experience of them both? And would rate one over the other? (from the reviews that I’ve read I’m swinging more towards the OCZ’s)

I am Spartacus 11:44 03 Nov 2009

Various reviews at click here

I've been using mine for a couple of months now without problems. I do run the OCZ TRIM tool on a regular basis though.

BaboonBoy22 11:45 05 Nov 2009

I've decided on the OCZ Vertex 30Gb.
Thanks for you help guys

I am Spartacus 12:28 05 Nov 2009

OCZ TRIM utility at click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?