Spyware Doctor

S5W 19:44 07 Aug 2006

I recently installed this program and its sibling Privacy Guardian as I found I was suddenly getting spyware problems. The programs seem to work OK but since I installed them I have had a step increase in spam e mails; I do not think this is a coincidence. Does any one know if the two programs are kosher or have I finally succumbed to a scam?

anskyber 20:17 07 Aug 2006

If you mean this one it looks pretty good from this link. click here

skeletal 20:51 07 Aug 2006

If you confirm it is the PCTools software from the link anskyber put in, I use their software, and I find it better than any of the free anti-spyware programs. I recently got a spam email purporting to be from a representative of PCTools, and it contained a virus. Their on-line help very quickly got back to me to confirm it was nothing to do with them and I’ve not had any more similar spam mails.

Although their software is genuine, and good, I wonder if, somehow, spammers get to know who has been on their site. A few years ago, I went on to a Microsoft user group and within hours I started getting virus emails. I ended up with over 500 of them over a period of days.

It could all be a coincidence of course.

Skeletal

freaky 11:05 08 Aug 2006

Yes I had the same experience, received an email purporting to be from PCTools which contained a virus - fortunately AVG quarantined it.

S5W 16:00 11 Aug 2006

Thanks for your replies and apologies for the delay in responding. Yes my program is the genuine one and it certainly seems to work fine. I never open or even highlight e mails in my spam folder so I can't be certain of the cause of the sudden increase. I'll put it down to "just one of those things".

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?